Extract cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TySmith40

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch of cream ale from an LME. I have yet to try anything different. Any other brewers try a cream without using an LME and if so what did you use?

I have one in secondary. Gonna bottle this weekend. I did 2 lbs light DME, 3.3 lbs light LME and some steeping grains with White Labs cream ale yeast.

CoryM616. How long have you been fermenting the cream ale? Both primary and secondary?

CoryM616. How long have you been fermenting the cream ale? Both primary and secondary?

I did 15 days in primary and I have gone 4 days in secondary. All at 65F. Last night I cranked her down to 36F to crash for a couple days. It's clearing up nicely. Already a big yeast cake in the bottom of the carboy. I can't wait to drink it. It's my 1st time doing all these techniques. The sample I drank while racking was awesome.

CoryM616 said:
I did 15 days in primary and I have gone 4 days in secondary. All at 65F. Last night I cranked her down to 36F to crash for a couple days. It's clearing up nicely. Already a big yeast cake in the bottom of the carboy. I can't wait to drink it. It's my 1st time doing all these techniques. The sample I drank while racking was awesome.

This is going to be the first one that I crash before bottling. The last one I made was very good but I was a little disappointed with the cloudiness so I'm looking for better clarity on this brew

i cold crashed mine for 3 wks..clearest beer i have ever done...

Wow that's awhile. Since this yeast is a lager/ale hybrid thing it could really go lots of different ways depending on how you treat it. If mine turns out good with only a 3 week ferm, I may make another batch and age it longer before bottling.

CoryM616 said:
Wow that's awhile. Since this yeast is a lager/ale hybrid thing it could really go lots of different ways depending on how you treat it. If mine turns out good with only a 3 week ferm, I may make another batch and age it longer before bottling.

I kept it about 60 fermenting for 3wks. Kept the wheat flavor down to a minimum.Then put it in my fridge for 3 wks before bottling. Truth be told the reason it was left cold crashing so long is because I forgot about it.

Latest posts

Back