Homemade Yeast blends (Mead + Beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have posed this question a couple times more specifically to my Altbraggot that i am planning, but i want to branch out because i have thought of a couple other applications i may pursue with the answers. So the question is thoughts on blending yeasts right now in particular would be the blending of a Dusseldorf Alt Yeast and ICV-D47 in an altstyle braggot where i would add the dusseldorf at the start then introduce the ICV-D47 at 1 week in to finish the attentuation rack it after it reaches a month, then put it into its cold brew period for the remaining month before it clears/ i bottle it.

I figure for 1 gallon batch i will do
2lbs of wildflower honey
.5lb DDME OR .25lb Wheat DME and .25 DDME
.1 oz of german tettnang in tea in primary
.1 oz of warrior in tea in primary
.1 oz of spalt pellets. dry hopped at secondary/ lagering period

With your guys help i want to see if i can use this technique of blending yeasts to create some truly great brews, I am thinking about expanding this to pyments, using mead yeasts and wine yeasts, as well as various other braggots like my citrus wheat braggot, a saison-like braggot, Caramelized malt and rye braggot, Bocheted braggot, and many more.

I think this technique will be most helpful in the terms of braggots because i want to be able to produce the proper beer flavors, and have them harmonize with the mead flavors and also obtain proper attentuation that a beer yeast alone would probably not reach.

Thanks, any stories, ideas, or further questions are welcome!

no-one has experience in this type of procedure? i guess i will have to keep people updated when i try it.

I've heard that yeast strains sometimes kill off/dominate their environments so mixing of 2 diff types is not usually done. As far as having stages of fermentation types with yeasts it is usually saved for stuck fermentations or non sacromyeces (spelling) types of yeasts.....
Good luck on your experiment and please post your results.

Being almost a year ago I can say the result was Hit and Miss. The alt braggot turned out very characteristically sweet, and overall had good flavors. The Wheat, not as well. Probably due to grain-bill though not yeast type. When I move into a place that allows for me to brew again, i will certainly attempt to refine this to something that will be useful for the Homebrew community!

Back