Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonas96

Reaction score
Got a kit yesterday from LHBS and it call for Irish Moss to be added for last 20 min of boil. Wanted to brew today but kit didn't come with Irish Moss and I forgot to grab. Store is 45 minutes away....hold on brewing until I get it, or brew on without it?

captwalt said:
Brew without. Get some for next time

New to this, as this is only my second batch. Does the Irish Moss do anything beyond helping with clarity?

It's worth adding but not a requirement. I forgot to add it to my 7 gal Double Jack clone done a few hours ago and the bag was only 2 feet away. No harm no foul....

It's worth adding but not a requirement. I forgot to add it to my 7 gal Double Jack clone done a few hours ago and the bag was only 2 feet away. No harm no foul....

Glad to hear it. I've read that it's a MUST for brewing clear beer, but wondered if it had any side effects or required any changes to the process (other than tossing in a 1/2 T or so about 15 minutes before boil-end).

It's cheap, I'm going to try some in my next batch.

Its nothing special...I've gotten clear beer with and without it. I guess I use it now out of habit but cold crashing does just as good of a job

Don't worry make your beer. Pick it up next time. :) Its only for clearing up the beer. I have had beers that have been clear without using it.

Back