Interesting Examination of Hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just read through this article in Newsweek. There were some interesting explanations for why hangovers are so rough and can't really be cured with a pill. A little more detail than I've seen before, but more or less the same. My favorite part is when they claim that a 5 drink session is a binge. Some of us call that Thursday. A couple of us call that Thursday morning. Interesting read nonetheless.

According to the CDC, more than half of the alcohol consumed by adults in the United States is in the form of binge drinks, and 70 percent of binge drinking episodes involve adults over age 25.

That means that 30% of "binge" drinking accours from the ages of 21-25. Since they don't usually include underagers in these studies. They never put a time limit on the drinking period. Yes comma 5 drinks in two hours in binge but 5 drinks in 6 hours is not.

Interesting, yes. Accurate, questionable. The silliest article, quoting TONS of non-scientific information as if it were fact and perpetuating dozens of myths and old wives tales, Absolutely! The only hangover I EVER get is from dehydration. If I drink a glass of water between beers, I NEVER get a hangover even after polishing off 15 or 20 beers in a night (albeit a long night). If I wake with a hangover from not drinking enough water, two ibuprofen chased with three or four big glasses of water will kill it in about 10 minutes.

sause said:
Yes comma 5 drinks in two hours in binge but 5 drinks in 6 hours is not.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If I start after supper, let's say 7 with my first drink, all beer, one an hour gets me to midnight with 5-6 drinks.

Since the average time to metabolize is 1 ounce of alcohol is an hour, let's say 6% and 12 ounces, that's 0.7 ounces. Less than the average. So when I go to bed, most of it has been metabolized. As long as I drink enough water during the evening, the next day I'm fine.

While that article was somewhat interesting and attempted to remain factual...the "facts" were clearly blown out of proportion.

I'm having my first glass of wine as I type this. The rest of the bottle (minus one glass for SWMBO that I will likely end up finishing) is right behind it. I will most likely get a little sleepy while lounging on the couch watching TV later. I'm not sure how a drowsy Yuri falls into one of these categories: "car accidents, domestic and gun violence and sexual assault," but clearly I am setting myself up for disaster. I will punch 911 into the cell phone and wait to hit "Send."

Unless I'm waking up drunk, the closest I come is waking up dehydrated, which could mean a headache or no appetite, but it's identical to if I just got dehydrated by not drinking. If I'm seriously dehydrated, I treat the symptoms with an advil and the cause with a bit of salty bland food and about a litre of water. Never a problem to treat, and it rarely happens because I'm obsessive about hydration.

EDIT: I've had fusel headaches the night of, but those go away.

Back