Where to buy water cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleJ

Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy a water cooler to convert into a tun for a decent price?

I've found a few places online, but they all want ~$10 shipping.
I tried to find one in Walmart the other day but none to be found.

Where did you guys get yours?

Dale, the GRABASS boys are having an all-grain extravaganza in Cary on 12-02, why don't you come by to brew or hang out?
Jeff

I had a lot of trouble finding a 10 gallon Rubbermaid style cooler for conversion but eventually I read a post on these forums that said to check at Home Depot in the contractor area. Sure enough, there was one buried under a pile of 5 gallon models but with a good cleaning it was fine. It cost me $40 dollars.

This time of year, you can try asking someone to check the warehouse inventory. Places may have a few, but don't want to waste floor space.

this time of year Home Depot is probably your best bet, and if you have more than one of them in town its worth checking them all. We have two HD's in town...one has these in stock, the other doesn't even have a shelf space for them...but both have the 5gal size year-round.

You can order one through Ace Hardware's website and have it shipped to your local store free of charge - you're in for tax, but you'd pay that anyway from the store. Got mine in 3 days.

DaleJ said:
Where is the best place to buy a water cooler to convert into a tun for a decent price?

I've found a few places online, but they all want ~$10 shipping.
I tried to find one in Walmart the other day but none to be found.

Where did you guys get yours?

Howdy Dale, welcome to HBT if it hasn't been said before. There's quite a contingent on here from the Triangle area. As Boston said, we're doing a group brew on Dec. 2. Should be a lot of fun. PM Boston for details.

Chad

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll check these out!

Chad/Jeff - most excellent. I'll set that afternoon aside. Sounds like a blast.

I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse. It is an outdoor/camping store. It doesn't seel balls or bikes, just camping and hunting stuff. If you have something similar in your area you might check there. I checked all the sporting type stores and not being summer they didn't have any 10 gallon ones.

Back