pumpkin melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

am i on the right track ?

• yes

• no

• yes but i could help

• heck no hears what u need

Results are only viewable after voting.

nickwmead

Reaction score
i currently have a mead in the primary and i want to make it a pumpkin melomel it is

2#honey
1 vile of english ale yeast
top off water to 1 gal.
and a yeast nutrient

i need some help on how to have a nice pumpkin flavor
once its done in the primary i don't know what route i should go in aping the pumpkin

i would like a pumpkin spiced melomel

please help

Do you want pumpkin in it or just the pie spices or both. If you want both I quarter the pumpkin and bake it in the oven on 350*f for a half hour to and hour(depending on how well done you want it) then mash it up with your spices and rack the mead ontop of it in your fermenter.

yeah i think thats what ill do but what are the key spices to put in ? i want a nice rich flavor but not too over powering
thanks again

nickwmead said:
yeah i think thats what ill do but what are the key spices to put in ? i want a nice rich flavor but not too over powering
thanks again

I would just buy the already mixed pumpkin pie spice. Its blended well so you dont overpower one spice.

i just baked a pumpkin a fairly small pie one and then mashed it all up and mixed in about 3/4 of a table spoon in then added to the secondary and racked the mead onto the pumpkin it started right up
how long should i lit it be now ?

DSCN1373.jpg

nickwmead said:
i just baked a pumpkin a fairly small pie one and then mashed it all up and mixed in about 3/4 of a table spoon in then added to the secondary and racked the mead onto the pumpkin it started right up
how long should i lit it be now ?

You will rack it off the pulp at some point, and then rack again in increments....but in the big picture I would say you are looking at a year or more before you will likely find it ready for consumption.

saramc said:
You will rack it off the pulp at some point, and then rack again in increments....but in the big picture I would say you are looking at a year or more before you will likely find it ready for consumption.

I've had mead be ready in three months. If you do a staggered nutrition regimen. Then you just wait for the pumpkin to drop out and your good. I would almost back sweet this one to with some honey and a smig of brown sugar.

I've had mead be ready in three months. If you do a staggered nutrition regimen. Then you just wait for the pumpkin to drop out and your good. I would almost back sweet this one to with some honey and a smig of brown sugar.

what is it it u mean by nutrition regimen and what is back sweeten ? its a one gallon batch

nickwmead said:
what is it it u mean by nutrition regimen and what is back sweeten ? its a one gallon batch

A nutrition regimen is when you stagger nutrient additions, one at the beginning of fermentation one at the middle of fermentation and one just before fermentation ends. This keeps the yeast happy and health throughout the entire fermentation, they will produce less off flavors. And back sweetening is when fermentation is done you kill the yeast and add some honey to make a sweeter mead.

Back