GF partial mash rootbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyhicks

Reaction score
Ok, been thinking about some homebrew rootbeer, just saw a recipe in the soda forum about using carapils & dme to give a maltier, fuller bodied & less sweet rootbeer... i know if i brew this up my wife (the celiac in the fam) will be asking for a gf version, so to head her off at the pass what can we figure out here?

Here is the guy's post... i would have to naturally carbonate since i dont have a CO2 setup...

Curtis2010 said:
As requested, I am posting this recipe on it's own thread:

Originally Posted by Curtis2010

I just brewed an awesome root beer and thought I would post here for the benefit of those looking for a good recipe. This is for 5 gallons for forced carbonated root beer (you could of course easily adapt this to naturally carbonate).

The end result has a rich creamy head with very long retention, creamy mouth feel, and is not overly sweet as can result if using sugar rather than DME.

Ingredients below:

8oz Cara-Pils
8oz Flaked Oats
1lb Light DME
1 Bottle Root Beer Extract (qty may vary by supplier)
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Brew Steps:

Bring 1 gallon of water to 160 and add grains (I put mine in a grain bag which makes them easy to remove). Steep at 155 for 30 minutes (do not boil). Remove grains.

Add DME and mix well. Bring water back up to 160 and hold for 30 minutes (there is no need to boil this stuff...just need to pasteurize and mix well).

Transfer to keg (our whatever your gear dictates) add extract (again no need to boil an extract you just drive off flavor components). Top up with with cool clean water. Force carbonate at approximately 26PSI at 45F.

Pic attached of the end result -- rich, creamy and yummy!

You could also adapt this to brew a "hard" root beer by upping the gravity with DME. I have a small 1-liter test batch of this approach brewing now. I brought the OG of this test batch up to about 1.060 with DME and pitched a generic dry brewer's yeast by Coopers.

Replace the light DME with rice extract, 1:1. Replace the carapils with candi syrup (amber or dark) added to taste, and/or a bit of molasses. Unless you're making the "hard" version, what comes out of the kettle is what you get, since this is force-carbed and not fermented.

Like i said, have to ferment 8*( you think 8oz of like d45 candi? For the carapils? Also do you think bumping the oats to counteract the dry/crisping effect of the rice?

Ok, put both recipes in my BrewR app... looks like they are close on est og, 1.016(gf) vs. 1.014, also liking what the candi & molasses should do to color, 8srm for the gf vs. 2 for the reg...

Heres what i plugged in for the gf rb...
1# ea of rice solids & gf oats
8oz of d45 candi syrup
4oz molasses
Rb extract
.5tsp gf vanilla

I'll be honest, I was thinking of using one of the even darker candi syrups like the D180 or D90. Right now, I'm playing with varying amounts of sarsaparilla, wintergreen, burdock root, yellow dock, star anise, licorish root, wild cherry bark, dandelion root, chicory root and if I can find some, sassafrass, before I touch on the sugars.

I think the poster for the malt rootbeer is using oats for head retention and body, and while that's possible, I'm thinking of gum acacia and quillaya and possibly irish moss.

You could probably do d180 and cut the molasses, i added that so it would look like rootbeer instead of cream soda... There is a recipe for a from scratch rootbeer in the soda section that might get you on the right track instead of the extract... I upped the oatmeal like you said for body & head anticipating that the rice solids would effect both... I think ill brew this soon, waiting on finding the raw ingredients and bottles...

Molasses is better in root beer than D-180 alone; it adds more of the traditional flavor and less of a stout/porter roastiness.

Now you mention it... I was reading the descriptors on the 90 & 180 and recall that now... 45 was a better fit...

That's what I was wondering. Molasses for sure, since you need the flavor components and unlike full fermentation you're really going for Molasses's sweetness. The candi syrup would be more for color. The degrees of darkness of "caramel coloring" was what was throwing me.

Here is the from scratch recipe i was looking at...

asabassa1120 said:
Hi All- This is my first post on the site, although I've kept an eye on these forums for a while. I thought I'd just say hello and post the recipe I've been using.

I've scoured the internet forever, read a ton of books and have asked a ton of people who've made read beer, but I never found a recipe I thought looked that great. One day I stumbled across Swagger Rootbeer. John, a truly fantastic home-brewer has a great site and since his recipe seemed like something I would enjoy I made it.

Even though I made his, I also wanted to tweak it a bit so it would be more my own. Here is what I ended up with (2 Gallon Recipe):

• 10 TBS DRIED SASSAFRAS ROOT BARK
• 4 TBS CHOPPED DRIED BURDOCK ROOT
• 4 TSP CHOPPED DRIED LICORICE ROOT
• 4 TBS DRIED WINTERGREEN LEAF
• 4 TSP CHOPPED DRIED DANDELION ROOT
• 2 CINNAMON STICK
• 2 TSP FRESH GINGER
• 4 CUPS SUGAR
• 2 TBS HONEY (ALL NATURAL, ORGANIC, SHOULDN'T COME IN A JAR SHAPED LIKE A BEAR)
• 4 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 TSP MALTODEXTRIN
• 1/4 TSP ALE YEAST
• 2 GAL WATER (I used bottled)

1. Place first 7 ingredients in 1 gallon of water and simmer for 45 minutes. Within the last 15 minutes I added in Maltodextrin. (Wasn't quite sure at first when to do this, but it seemed to work well)
2. Remote from heat and cool for 30 minutes.
3. Rehydrate yeast in 1/4 cup boiled/cooled water for 15 minutes.
4. Strain Wort. I do this twice, once using a fine mesh strainer and another using unbleached coffee filters
5. Add Sugar, Honey and Vanilla and stir well.
6. Add remaining water, stir well.
7. Mix in yeast, stir well.
8. Bottle- I used PET bottles 500ml size. In a few days (when bottle is as hard as soda you would get in the store, put in the refrigerator).

I really, really liked the way this root beer came out. It still has a similar flavor to Swagger Root Beer, but I was trying to find a way to get that "bite" that makes root beer so good to me. The fresh ginger gives it a slight kick. I think the next time I make it I'll double the ginger, but I don't want to overpower the other flavors.

It took me a long time to find a recipe I was willing to try to make (thanks again to Swagger!). I hope anyone here who wants to make Root Beer from scratch gives both of our recipes a shot.

Have fun brewing!

Ok, tried the extract recipe in a 2.5gal batch, brewed on sunday... Used 4oz of cane sugar and 2tsp of nottingham dry yeast for carbbing, went to the cooler today... I will probably crack one tonight after softball to see how it turned out... I will try to post a review and pic later...

bad... Thats all there is too it... good carbonation, but the flavor is not enough rootbeer and not enough sweet... the sweet was not so bad, but it tasted like club soda with a rootbeer barrel candy floating in it...

Next time I am going to try a little high quality soda extract and maybe a touch more than they call for... also maybe a touch of extra dextrose...

Def. Needed more sugar... The color from the extract was super dark... I think you might be onto something kevin, do a 2.5gal batch with the 5gal qtys... Like i said, will have to do something...

Back