Huge price increase on LME ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I haven`t brewed since december, we have been traveling, skiing and living on the beer reserves I made. It`s close to being empty so I need to brew a few batches now.

Went to my LBS to get my usual supplies and to my big suprise the LME from Briess I use went up from 5.30$ a KG to 9.00$ a KG.

Has it been like that everywhere?

Not sure about Briess brand, but I source my LME from either MoreBeer (which is within driving distance) or my LHBS, and both those places charge roughly $2.50/lb. for Liquid and $3.75/lb. for Dried. Your listed prices, especially per kilogram instead of per pound, seem pretty outrageously high.

it must be canada or your local shop jacking up the price, I'm not even paying that much for small orders of DME.

From what I can see it's the price for Briess LME. I found online at a few places 1.5 Kg for +- 12.00$. So 9$ a kilo seems about right.

I'm in Vancouver. I have a 7lb tub of wheat extract which I paid $21CAD for. Works out to about $6.60/kg.

(I think I'll start buying this stuff down south :drunk:)

At my LHBS a 3.3LB container of Breiss LME is about $13.

If you buy in bulk you can save bigtime. I recently bought a 55 bag of Breiss Pilsener DME for $90, which comes out to $1.75/lb or so.

If you buy in bulk you can save bigtime. I recently bought a 55 bag of Breiss Pilsener DME for $90, which comes out to $1.75/lb or so.

Where did you get that from? That's a great price.

I buy Breiss LME in 33 lb containers for $60 (US) from my LHBS. Price hasn't changed for a couple of years.

Not sure about Briess brand, but I source my LME from either MoreBeer (which is within driving distance) or my LHBS, and both those places charge roughly $2.50/lb. for Liquid and $3.75/lb. for Dried. Your listed prices, especially per kilogram instead of per pound, seem pretty outrageously high.

$9/kg = just over $4.10/lb, so its really not far off from the $3.75.

Back