First batch started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
Man, that was a ton of fun. The SWMBO was a real sport too, she didnt mind at all as long as I cleaned up, and I did. No boil overs which helped but had a few real close calls. Its in the fermenter now just a chuggin away.

It's a Listermann sweet milk stout. Target OG was 1.062 and I had 1.061. I guess that is close enough but I wouldnt now. I had about a quart over 5 gal after the boil so thats what might have caused it.

Figure I would let it set in the fermentor for 2 weeks and then bottle condition for a minimum of four. Sound about right? I hear stouts take a little longer to mellow out.

some pR0n

S5030537.jpg

S5030539.jpg

An immersion chiller with a sump pump is definitly high on the wish list right now.

Being that it is your first brew, two weeks and then four would be fine, but in the future, I would recommend nothing less than two months.

Anyway, welcome to the obsession.

:mug:

Congrats on a successfull first brew! :rockin:

Two weeks in primary then bottling should be just fine for a stout.

Thanks guys!

Yeah I know the cooler might have been a little bit overkill for a first batch but I had an extra mini fridge so I figured why not. It sounded like fermentation temps made the biggest impact on the quality of the beer.

I'll be sure to let yall know how well it turns out. Cant wait to get it out of the primary so I can get the next batch in

This is exactly why I made the fermenting chamber. Last minute notice, have to fly out to Louisville and wont be back till Monday. Nice to not have to worry about my wort burning up.

I wish that I had thought of that when I did my first brew.

GREAT WORK!!!

I'm sure that you will be more than pleased with your results.

Virtuous said:
Yeah I know the cooler might have been a little bit overkill for a first batch but I had an extra mini fridge so I figured why not. It sounded like fermentation temps made the biggest impact on the quality of the beer.

Not overkill. Just killer. Wish I had done the same much earlier.

Anyway, temps are critical to beer, but more importantly managing temps can make a fun task a lot of work. As in skip a weekend camping to swap ice bottles. You will never regret making that cooler.

Back