The Brewshed Begins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt99004

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread here. The new brewshed is an official project. Looks like the install date will be 12/02/11. I will have the water and electric buried by then. This is a 12 x 16 prefab shed, which should be plenty of room. The best part: it was SWMBO's idea. I wanted to install in the basement. This will allow for a true above=ground man cave and an excellent brewing environment as well.

To all of you have inspired me, I raise my glass (currently a Belgian, brewed in May). :mug:

MATT. That is the exact same size shed I have. Mine is a work in progress as money got very tight but the absolute best addition I made was a loft in the shed. Plus one corner we walled off and made a walk in ferment chamber. I will tell you this, when you assemble the shed be 100% sure it is COMPLETELY square. I bought one that some one else had butchered in the construction and spent more time fixing than building.

BTW right now there is a big grill...2 keggles..2 burners...a big chest freezer...a ton of bottles with room for twice as many...all kinds of carboys and various pots... all of my supplies and equipment.. a table all across one wall...my chair and guitar stand...plus a bunch of other stuff and there is still plenty of room. Someone told me on here before I started to lay it out.. lay it out again.. try several different configurations to find exactly how you like it set up best before committing to permanently affixing anything. OH YEAH Craigslist is your friend. cabinets and sinks and counter tops etc.. I found a few free for picking up but too far away for me.

101_0762.jpg

not trying to hijack but if you have the head room a loft is simple and easy and REALLY expands your storage room.

The plan I chose has a 6' by 12' loft in the rear of the building. Your ideas for a walk-in mirror my own...great minds must think alike. The task at hand right now is knocking a hole thru the basement foundation for water and electric.

Not much to look at yet, but here's the location. Between two stumps and on top of a few boulders. Oh well...

ForumRunner_20111122_221325.jpg

The plan I chose has a 6' by 12' loft in the rear of the building. Your ideas for a walk-in mirror my own...great minds must think alike. The task at hand right now is knocking a hole thru the basement foundation for water and electric.

Yeah thats my next issue right now. I got such a deal on my shed I grabbed it and set it in before any preperation could be done. The doors on the walk in are french style and it works great. I am not sure I would make it as big if I had it to do again, I would probably make it shallower and put in shelves to expand capabilities.

:rockin: subscribed for the greatness that will be your brew shed!! I look forward to following your build and borrowing (stealing) your ideas :)

Burned out my favorite drill, and broke the second masonry bit last night. That concrete is tough stuff. Shed will be delivered on Thursday!

matt99004 said:
Burned out my favorite drill, and broke the second masonry bit last night. That concrete is tough stuff. Shed will be delivered on Thursday!

Try a hammer drill.... It was like night a day difference when I got one. Good luck!!!

Rent a hilti for a day i use one all the time at work to hammer out 2" holes in foundations it works like a charm.

OK, Well I don't have a hammer drill, nor can I afford one right now. Instead, I bought a new masonry bit and took three Advil. Victory is mine! All 6 holes are now thru the foundation. I will bust out the rest tomorrow while the contractor does the excavating.

I took OHIOSTEVE's advice to heart and did a three layouts. I think I have a pretty good idea of where I'm headed. BTW - if you're in the Spokane area, Brown Building Materials is your friend. Lots of used items waiting to be repurposed for brewing. Pictures tomorrow!

First part of the ground prep complete. The two "tubes" are for water and power in one and a dry well in the second. They will be cut to grade once the gravel is in.

ForumRunner_20111130_111444.jpg

All of the prep work is complete. Gravel put in this afternoon, but I forgot to take any more pictures before I ran out of light. Water and electric lines are buried, and I spent this evening hooking up the water line. I'll do the electric tomorrow.

Ran into a bit of trouble burying the lines. Wanted to keep it 3' deep, but the area I picked is apparently on top of a shelf of rock (basalt, not unusual for this area). We got it down 2' deep, which will have to be good enough. That also makes my "dry well" pretty shallow. I decided to dig it quite a bit wider, and will fill the entire hole with rocks and rubble.

Shed will be delivered at about 10:00 tomorrow morning - stay tuned!

Some more advice...... if you are building one of the prefab sheds, hide your saw. The idiots.. I mean guys who built mine actually sawed precut wood...sawed tabs off of wood designed to lock em together.. it was AWFUL. And expanding foam is your friend when you start the ferment room.

Here are a couple shots from today. Poor fellow doing the delivery had to back it in over about 400' of rough driveway. He brought it in without a scratch. The second shot is with the shed in place. Got the breaker panel installed, and the plumbing in the shed is nearly ready. More to follow!

ForumRunner_20111201_205806.jpg

ForumRunner_20111201_205836.jpg

Looks good. Please show us the progress as the inside comes together! We love pics!!

NICE, yours is in much better condition than mine, due to it having been bult by morons. Are you planning on finishing the inside also?

Yes. Water and electric first, then insulation, wallboard, lighted beer signs, etc. Looking for the some used cabinets now.

Yes. Water and electric first, then insulation, wallboard, lighted beer signs, etc. Looking for the some used cabinets now.

the insulation is EXPENSIVE.. As always look on craigslist for cabinets. I have found severl that were free but I was too late. Keep in mind that thing will fill up FAST so don't make anything permanent until you are dead sure that is where you want it. I was hoping to make mine a little brew shed/ sanctuary with a small bar etc.. I don't think it is all gonna fit. I think maybe set it up almost like a kitchen with the counter and sink and cabinets.

My plan exactly. The man cave concept sounds nice, but there would be no room for brewing.

Sadly I will be away from home, and will not be able to work on it at all this weekend. Expect more progress next week.weekly

Subscribed, just bought a house with a crappy shed that will "need" to be replaced next summer. ;)

I'm sorry I can't help myself " I'm a self admitted picture whore"
Give me more pic's please! I was never good with story problems.
Love this idea, I have moved to my barn but the cat I have to control rodents, due to having a mouse destroy my low ride truck interior one winter, leave their hair everywhere.
I would love to have a brew shed.
:mug:

Back