Adding fruit to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had an idea. If I add extra fruit to my secondary, will get more of the flavour of said fruit?
I know people often do it with mead, cider and beer - but will it work for wine?

The reason i ask is, i have a fruit wine on the go and it isn't exactally swimming with flavour. It's physalis (ground cherry) wine. Was thinking of adding raspberries or something.

Dicky

I haven't tried it myself, but I can't see a problem with it. I would use less fruit than you think you need in secondary though- the base flavor will come back stronger the more you age it.

Yeah, i figured that it will referment so I kept the SG slightly lower to begin with. I just want it to be tasty so my girlfriend can actually enjoy something that i've brewed (shes a fussy drinker).

Cheers guys.

Dicky

Or if you planned on backsweetening at all, you could use some fruit juice. I added some cherry juice to a plum cherry wine when I sweetened it and I think it added more cherry flavor.

I did it with some Apple wine an it seemed to work good . Boiled it for 1/2 hr an tosted it a cam tablet.

Or if you planned on backsweetening at all, you could use some fruit juice. I added some cherry juice to a plum cherry wine when I sweetened it and I think it added more cherry flavor.

That's a good idea.

Still waiting for first fermentation to finish. Usually only takes my wines about 7 days, but this one is going for it. Never used this yeast before though. Hope it goes ok.

Dicky.

Back