Dry Hopping in already tapped keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin_hubbell

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried or has thoughts on adding some hops to an already tapped keg. I have a keg of bass clone that tastes really good but I am not happy with the smell. It is a little sweet smelling, which is throwing off the beer so I was thinking if cracking the keg open for a second throwing in some hops and then repressurizing it would be possible. Any thoughts would be awesome thanks.

Buy a 1 gallon paint strainer bag and a SS ball bearing. Sanitize both and then put the hops and ball bearing in the paint strainer bag and tie off the top. Attach some unflavored dental floss or fishing leader to the bag and plop it in the keg. Then tie off the line to the keg lid. I find that 10-14 days is usually about right.

You can do it, and it can make a difference, but it tends to cost me clarity when I dryhop in an active keg.

Clarity ... meh.

Buy a 1 gallon paint strainer bag and a SS ball bearing. Sanitize both and then put the hops and ball bearing in the paint strainer bag and tie off the top. Attach some unflavored dental floss or fishing leader to the bag and plop it in the keg. Then tie off the line to the keg lid. I find that 10-14 days is usually about right.

This is what I just did, except I didn't weigh it down with anything. It eventually soaked up enough beer to sink on it's own. But it worked really well. Left it in the keg for a little over 2 weeks.

You can do it, and it can make a difference, but it tends to cost me clarity when I dryhop in an active keg.

Clarity ... meh.

I haven't found that to be the case but I'm dry hopping with leaf hops and not pellets.

I do it all the time, weigh it down with a SS fitting, shot glass, etc. No need to tie it to anything as I leave it in until the keg kicks. As above, leaf usually leaves the beer clear and pellets will cloud until it settles out.

So if Ive already dry hopped (Secondary) a Pale Ale and kegged and carbed. How long could you leave say an OZ of cascade in a tapped, carbed, refrigerated keg before any negative effects? Anyone have any expirece with leaving it for 3 to 4 weeks?

Also, where do you get stainless steal bearings to weight the bag down? CAn you use a large stainless nut from HD?

In my experience I've had no off flavors or issues with 6 months of hops in kegs. I've used 304 or 316 SS fittings with no problems.

Yep I leave em in my keg the whole time, sometimes they last up to 2 months. Sometimes I'll even throw the used hops into my boil kettle if a keg is kicked around the time I'm brewing a pale ale or IPA (or something I want a little more bitter). I dont think it does much but waste not want not and all that.

I just picked up 2.5 Lbs of cascade whole hops...... I think I will be tossing a bag in the keg.

You guys normally throw an OZ in? 2 OZ?

I generally add 2 oz myself, left in the keg until it blows. I use a hose clamp on the underside of the lid, around the pressure relief valve and tie off there. I use glass marbles as weights, from dollar store.

Back