Carbonation/head problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgrave61

Reaction score
I made a blueberry cream ale a while back using blueberry extract from my LHBS. I used the amount of priming sugar that was recommended in the kit directions (4oz) for a 5 gal. batch and cracked one open the other day after almost 3 weeks in bottles. Poured one in a glass and there was about a half inch of actual beer and the rest foam. Had a couple other people do it to and same results. Any idea why this might be?? It's like someone shook them all up and tried pouring them.

Did you refrigerate them first? Did you take gravity readings before you bottled?

+1

You need to chill the brew once it's been carbonating for 3+ weeks... Chill one for 4-7 days before you pour it into a glass... Otherwise you'll get exactly as you just did...

If you bottled it too early, you could have had bottle bombs, so I'm going to assume that at least fermentation was complete...

If you bottled too early it could have finished more in the bottle,if you dindt reach your final gravity.try an ice bath to chill them or let them sit over 3 days to drink.

I didn't check gravity but it sat in primary 4 weeks. bottles in 3 weeks. They were only in the fridge for about 36 hours so I'm assuming that was the problem

Maybe but if is persistant and you start getting gushers it could be an infection.If you cleaned well and sanitized and didnt have it exposed to air very long that shouldnt be the case.It should have finished by 3 weeks, if reg gravity, i would rule that out.
Are you pouring the yeast in at the bottem also?This may cause more foam.

Maybe but if is persistant and you start getting gushers it could be an infection.If you cleaned well and sanitized and didnt have it exposed to air very long that shouldnt be the case.It should have finished by 3 weeks, if reg gravity, i would rule that out.
Are you pouring the yeast in at the bottem also?This may cause more foam.

I know it wasn't infected. Everything is always sanitized properly and well sealed and also checked regularly. I think it just might have been a sugary kit and not letting it refrigerate properly probably caused it. I will be checking them again Friday since I am at school and have to go back home to check everything. I have a buddy who runs the operation while I'm away.

I know it wasn't infected. Everything is always sanitized properly and well sealed and also checked regularly. I think it just might have been a sugary kit and not letting it refrigerate properly probably caused it. I will be checking them again Friday since I am at school and have to go back home to check everything. I have a buddy who runs the operation while I'm away.

Well you either bottled to early, from your description less likely, or you have an infection IMO.

Well you either bottled to early, from your description less likely, or you have an infection IMO.

Either way it tastes absolutely delicious so I'm not overly concerned at the moment. But thanks for the helpful answers. :mug:

I finally got a hydrometer so from here on out I will be able to take readings which should make a huge difference rather than guessing

Chances are, after a solid month on the yeast, fermentation was completed. Since it's not showing any other signs of infection, I think it's more likely that it just wasn't chilled down enough when poured. A simple test of letting it sit in the fridge for close to a week should shed more light on it...

BTW, I've had brews that would foam like bastards when too warm. Chill them down and the head was in line with how it should have been... I actually have two bottles of one of those batches that I should chill and drink... If nothing else, I could use those bottles... :D

Chances are, after a solid month on the yeast, fermentation was completed. Since it's not showing any other signs of infection, I think it's more likely that it just wasn't chilled down enough when poured. A simple test of letting it sit in the fridge for close to a week should shed more light on it...

BTW, I've had brews that would foam like bastards when too warm. Chill them down and the head was in line with how it should have been... I actually have two bottles of one of those batches that I should chill and drink... If nothing else, I could use those bottles... :D

Yeah I might as well just throw them in the fridge for a week and let them do their thing. Just have to start drinking the other 100 bottles of homebrew sitting around while I wait. I think I can handle that

Well I think I said from his description bottling early was less likely the cause.

If you dig gushers, more power to you, if the refrigeration helps, great.

I am just saying if you have multiple bottles that foam completely to glass leaving an inch of beer you might have issue.

So you have 100 other bottles of home brew to enjoy and you're opening up this batch prematurely?? :facepalm:

hahaha guilty as charged

Yep if they are all like that most likely some kind of infection. The taste may not rear its head for a while though.

Yeah I guess only time will tell. Might as well try to enjoy before that's the case

Been reading this thread and the general advise is to wack them in the fridge. My question is at what temp? I was told to keep vert at around 12 degrees c! Was I told wrong? Should they be colder ?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

+1
You need to chill the brew once it's been carbonating for 3+ weeks... Chill one for 4-7 days before you pour it into a glass... Otherwise you'll get exactly as you just did...

Understanding that I am a new brewer and not questioning your answer, just trying to learn - what is the point of 4-7 days vs. reaching the terminal temperature?

To put it another way: say I have a fully fermented, fully carbonated, and fully conditioned beer that I put in a fridge and it is at 38 degrees after 24 hours, and another that is at the exact same temperature for 7 days - what is the difference?

Why not 17 days or 29 days? What happens to bottled beer that is already "ready", between days 3 and 8 that makes it better than one that is in the fridge for more than the time required to reach terminal temperature and less than 4 days?

Again, new brewer here, just trying to learn...

Understanding that I am a new brewer and not questioning your answer, just trying to learn - what is the point of 4-7 days vs. reaching the terminal temperature?

To put it another way: say I have a fully fermented, fully carbonated, and fully conditioned beer that I put in a fridge and it is at 38 degrees after 24 hours, and another that is at the exact same temperature for 7 days - what is the difference?

Why not 17 days or 29 days? What happens to bottled beer that is already "ready", between days 3 and 8 that makes it better than one that is in the fridge for more than the time required to reach terminal temperature and less than 4 days?

Again, new brewer here, just trying to learn...

I've found that a brew needs more than just 24 hours for the CO2 to go fully into the brew (when bottled at least)... The additional time allows it to get better into solution, giving less excess head/foam. It also helps the sediment to compact in the bottom of the bottles, so that the brew pours cleared/cleaner.

I've let brews go longer than 7 days in the fridge. I would say that 4-7 is a good start for testing a batch. If it's still not right after 4, give it more time in the fridge... So, once a brew has carbonated for 3 weeks, I chill one down at least 4 days. I try it. If it's good, then I know that 4 days is the minimum amount of time to chill that batch. If it's not right, then I put a couple more in and start testing at day 5, day 6, day 7, etc. until I hit a good time frame.

Since each batch you brew can be different, even if you're rebrewing it, it's better to do the testing of carbonation for each batch, IMO...

It's all part of the learning curve too.

I've found that a brew needs more than just 24 hours for the CO2 to go fully into the brew (when bottled at least)... The additional time allows it to get better into solution, giving less excess head/foam. It also helps the sediment to compact in the bottom of the bottles, so that the brew pours cleared/cleaner.

Excellent answer - I went almost straight into kegging and force carbing, and I know that it takes time and cold temps to get decent carbonation in the beer. I also know that co2 comes out of solution and goes into the head space when it warms up. What I didn't consider was the same effect on a smaller scale with a bottle. Chilling for several days makes sense now.

Thanks for your answer!

Ive had a good beer at 5 days carbed, 15 min ice bath. Waiting is a good idea though, but do what works for you and dont be disapointed if you dont like it before 3 weeks-it will just get better and refrigerating it longer is always a good idea if you can wait.

Back