How much Pumpkin for a Pumkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheffriz

Reaction score
Ok I am looking to do a pumpkin ale soon for the fall, and was thinking of how much pumpkin to use in the recipe. I reviewed an Episode of Discovery Channels Brewmasters from Dogfish Head. Sam Calagione narrating his recipe stated that he uses 36 cans of pumpkin for 600 barrels of ale. I noticed that the brewer was using no. 10 Cans of solid pack pumpkin which are 106 ounce per can. 1 Barrel of beer is 31 Gallons

106 ounce * 36 cans = 3816 ounces pumpkin
600 barrels * 31 gallons per barrel = 18600 gallons

I scaled the amount of pumpkin to a 5 gallon batch, with a result of just over 1 ounce of canned pumpkin for the entire batch.

3816*5/18600=1.03

Does this seem correct?

I usually buy 2 of the longneck pumpkins...about 3-5lbs each....skin them...cut them up and bake them for 1hr...and i sprinkle them with brown sugar before i put them in the oven. Then i throw them in a food processor to to bring it as close to canned pumpkin consistancy...and i add it to my mash water then

106 ounce * 36 cans = 3816 ounces pumpkin
600 barrels * 31 gallons per barrel = 18600 gallons

I scaled the amount of pumpkin to a 5 gallon batch, with a result of just over 1 ounce of canned pumpkin for the entire batch.

3816*5/18600=1.03

Does this seem correct?

I did the math just after the show originally aired (but I didn't know they used #10 cans) and I came up with a similarly low number in line with what you've got there. A lot of homebrewers who make "pumpkin" beers omit the pumpkin and just use the spices. I think the only reason that DFH uses it is because they say they do on the label.

Yeah, I put two 15oz cans of Libby's in my mash when I make a pumpkin ale. I really don't think it's that noticeable, especially once you get some cinnamon and other spices in there. I just do it so I can say there's pumpkin in there.

I did one with two 15oz cans as well, which turned out good, but I am going to increase it to two of the 29oz cans next time and bake it for about 30 min. at 300 befor putting it in the mash. I found many recipes that listed 2 large cans and baking prior to use. I also found that adding the pumpkin to my mash lowered the mash temp, so I hope the baking will help reduce this effect this.

I add the canned pumpkin to the mash water as it's heating up I like doing this because it completely distributes the pumpkin and cuts down the chances of a stuck sparge (in theory). Then I just subtract a couple degrees from my strike water target. So if my calculator is telling me I need my strike water at 163, I'll heat the water/pumpkin mix to 161, then add the grain. It usually works out, although I'm lucky to have a direct-fire mash tun so I can easily correct.

I add the canned pumpkin to the mash water as it's heating up I like doing this because it completely distributes the pumpkin and cuts down the chances of a stuck sparge (in theory). Then I just subtract a couple degrees from my strike water target. So if my calculator is telling me I need my strike water at 163, I'll heat the water/pumpkin mix to 161, then add the grain. It usually works out, although I'm lucky to have a direct-fire mash tun so I can easily correct.

This sounds like a good idea! What does your grain bill look like?

Back