How to read Temp Tape?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
I have kind of a dumb question and cant seem to find the answer from searching this forum or google.

How do I read my temperture tape on the outside of my Carboy?

I have a dark blue block that says 64, a green block on 66 and a red block at 68, all other blocks are blacked out. Do I go with the green? Is my batch sitting at 66 degrees?

Or maybe my tape isn't working properly? Any help would be great. Thanks!

The instructions that came with mine said read the 'greenest' number as your temp.

I also have a question about tape thermometer. Is it an accurate temp of the brew? Or, is it reading air temp, or a mixture of air and beer temp?

I also have a question about tape thermometer. Is it an accurate temp of the brew? Or, is it reading air temp, or a mixture of air and beer temp?

In my (limited) experience, it's the temperature of the beer/wort at the edge of the container. When the beer is fermenting, the middle of the bucket is going to be warmer.

In my (limited) experience, it's the temperature of the beer/wort at the edge of the container. When the beer is fermenting, the middle of the bucket is going to be warmer.
I doubt the middle would be much warmer while fermenting due to aggressive mixing. Afterwards maybe.

Back