Cherum Wine???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
No, it's not cherub wine so I won't be crushing up little angels to press into a must, but I bet that sure would taste heavenly:drunk:

I was at the store looking for produce to make a 5 gal batch, and I came across them, but they were labelled as Red Plums on the display, but they are a cherry/plum hybrid. I thought that might make a nice semi-sweet kind of wine for next summer or so. I wanted to get some additional plums and I picked up some Empress plums to make up the rest or the recipe. Pitting was pain, and I found out that empress plums are green, and that I picked up a bunch of bad fruit (I only used half of what I bought). Anyway, I was trying to use my immersion blend to really fine up the crushing/pressing, but it didn't work well at all, I added the water before I started blending(doh!). Everything was cut in at least thirds, but how important is it that I cut it up better?

So far the recipe is something like this (I was hoping for 5 gal)

12 lbs Cherums (I thought the plum/cherry combo sounded good)
3 lbs Empress Plums
2.25 lbs of Tart frozen cherries
4 lbs of white sugar
2 lbs of brown sugar
2 lbs of honey
2 tsp acid blend
2 tsp pectic enzyme
Lalvin 71B-1122

With so much fruit I was only able to add about 3 gallons of water, so I don't see how this is going to make a 5 gal batch. No gravity readings yet, I'm letting the fruit soak overnight with a little k-meta, and hopefully breaking down the fruit a bit. Looking at some recipes, they use way more fruit for their plum wine, should I look to add some more fruit or some cherry juice. I was hoping to get my OG up to like 1.115, so my 14% abv would kill off the yeast and leave me around 1.015 for a semi-sweet wine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back