Input please...want to make a huge beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been fantasizing about making a recipe I found in Radical Brewing, the Ignoble Doble Doble. It is a huge beer with 20lb of MO and 2 lb of biscuit malt, using one half of the grain bill per mash and using the runoff from the first mash as strike water for the second half of grain. It calls for 11 oz of EKG hops.

Therein lies the problem. I have Cascade, Northern Brewer, Magnum, Hallertau, and Citra in bulk. Wondering what would be a good sub for the EKG and being close to the recipe.

Also it says I can add 2 more lbs of biscuit/amber malt to the second mash and run off a session ale, would this be a good idea, maximizing my time and malt on a brewday?

Also for a beer this big, I know I want a big starter. What type of liquid yeast should I use? The book says any British alcohol-tolerant strain...what would be good? Thanks all!

Regarding your hops, I don't think any of them is a really good substitution for EKG... The Hallertau may be closest in alpha, so the quantity will probably be similar for an equivalent IBU...perhaps using the Northern Brewer would get you closest...according to Hopunion, that hop has an English lineage, and lists "all English style beers" as possible uses. However, it also lists Chinook as a possible substitute, which I would assume is substitution as a bittering hop only, given the aroma character being so different between them...

Wyeast sells multiple British strains that have tolerances up to 10%, but this is a huge beer! You might want to start with one of the ale yeasts, and if it sticks or doesn't get down to where you want the FG, finish with something else like a champagne yeast?

So this is a big English Barley Wine? I would use the Thomas Hardy Yeast (WLP099 I think).

None of those hops have an english character. I would personally buy goldings.

Use what you got. Make it an American Barleywine. If it were me I would use Magnum and NB for bittering and Cascade and Citra for flavor and aroma.

The whole thing about the doble-doble is making a very strong wort without boiling forever. "Wasteful of malt and men."

I made 6 gallons of a Samichlaus clone using 42# of pilsner malt. I used 28# (2/3) for the first mash and used all of its wort to mash-in the second mash. If you start the 2nd mash in the 140's you will get as fermentable a wort as possible. I only used the first runnings of the second mash and ended up with 6 gallons of 1.134 o.g. wort.

As for fermenting the beast, you'll want lots of yeast (I think I used yeast cakes from two regular strength 5 gallon batches - pilsner yeast in one and the Zurich yeast in the other). Then lots of yeast nutrient. And lots of oxygen. Lots of yeast with lots of sugar is going to make lots of heat so watch the fermentation temperature carefully.

Brew on

Use what you got. Make it an American Barleywine. If it were me I would use Magnum and NB for bittering and Cascade and Citra for flavor and aroma.

The whole thing about the doble-doble is making a very strong wort without boiling forever. "Wasteful of malt and men."

I made 6 gallons of a Samichlaus clone using 42# of pilsner malt. I used 28# (2/3) for the first mash and used all of its wort to mash-in the second mash. If you start the 2nd mash in the 140's you will get as fermentable a wort as possible. I only used the first runnings of the second mash and ended up with 6 gallons of 1.134 o.g. wort.

As for fermenting the beast, you'll want lots of yeast (I think I used yeast cakes from two regular strength 5 gallon batches - pilsner yeast in one and the Zurich yeast in the other). Then lots of yeast nutrient. And lots of oxygen. Lots of yeast with lots of sugar is going to make lots of heat so watch the fermentation temperature carefully.

Brew on

Cool idea man. Jeez I am just freakin stoked to do this! I have never made anything over 1065 so it is time to go hard or go home....its going to be epic! I like the idea of an American Barleywine...I just want to use the hops I have before they go bad, I can't really store them in optimum condition so I want to brew my ass off.

How about half Vienna and half Munich for my grain bill?

All Vienna and Munich will give it lots of body and maltiness. Why not? Give the mash lots of time to convert.

All Vienna and Munich will give it lots of body and maltiness. Why not? Give the mash lots of time to convert.

Hmmm. Mash at like 152 for 90 mins per? This will be one long brewday. I can't wait! Thinking on the hop schedule:

3 oz Magnum 90 min
3 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
2 oz Citra flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop

Hmmm. Mash at like 152 for 90 mins per? This will be one long brewday. I can't wait! Thinking on the hop schedule:

3 oz Magnum 90 min
3 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
2 oz Citra flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop

Personally, I think you should mash it nice and low, like 149f. A beer of that gravity will have plenty of its body, it doesn't need the thickness that such a temp would create.

and you may not want the dry-hop. by the time this thing gets good and drinkable, i doubt there will be much of the dry-hop aroma left.

Honestly I'd say NB is your best bet. If it's an English beer you don't want it to be too citrus in taste (unless you do want it to be that way) so using Cascade or Citra would not be a good idea. NB won't give you great taste, but it would be closer to style than the others.

Did you brew this thing yet? I'm starting to plan a doble-doble style russian imp. stout using an 28lb grain bill in total. I'm curious how your's went if you did it.

I've decided to start brewing a big huge RIS each year for christmas with a year of age on the brew for standard consumption. Then save like 12or so 12oz bottles for further aging. I'm waiting for some cooler temps as this will produce some serious heat.

any word?, did you brew this, I found that same recipe in Radical brewing and was considering it too...

i brewed this and pitched it on a notty yeast cake that had been a christmas spiced beer. i decided it would be cool to have something along those lines to age over a few years and see how it changed. i make snap decisions like that on days leading up to a big brew!

so i primaried and secondaried 6 months total then got it in bottles, entered in in 21B spiced winter ales. got a 35/50 on it. so needless to say i was pretty excited.

then of course i lost all my beersmith recipes so i wont be able to make an exact clone, or share it with anybody. oh well. :(

Any thoughts on doing an extract version of this beer? I just saw it in Mosher's book, but don't have an AG set up. Curious if anyone has any thoughts as to if there's any way to mimic the process?

Back