Going to Mexico

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingitgood

Reaction score
Ok well I guess i am taking a vacation to mexico and I can order as much booze i want, what drinks do you think i should try? Anything i should not try? Any imput is welcome. :rockin: Cant wait. my plans are to see the country in the daylight and party in the dark.

I highly recommend michelada. It's a chili/lime mixture, and they pour the beer into that. You have your choice between corona or negra with it. I like it with darker beer, so never had it with a corona beer. It has a salted rim- and in Oaxaca, there are ground up worms mixed in with the salt. The same salt mixture is used with mezcal, too.

Kind of like a spicy bloody mary, but not really. Very good, though!

Lorena

Mexico is a big place with many regions, cultures and culinary and social differences. Pulque is more to the north IIRC.

If in the Yuctan, try Xtabentun (pronounced ISH ta ben toon) a Mayan Liquour made with rum, anise and honey.

Try not to be the ugly westerner while you're there and do-as-the-locals-do when possible.

Otherwise b4b and yb above have solid advice.

Just to throw a girly drink in the mix, I live for Banana Monkeys when I'm down there. I'm not really sure of whats in them, but I know it's rum, chocolate, bananas, and something else. They are best at the pool bar when it's hot. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of Negra Modelo, but normally I try to buy a different 6 pack each time. Last time I bought some beer with a chicken on the can. It was really cheap and called Gallo. It was just cool drinking beer with a chicken on the can. :D

If there's a wal-mart nearby, go there and stock up. They have a great selection (at least the one in Cancun), and it's much cheaper than the hotel stores.

makingitgood said:
Ok well I guess i am taking a vacation to mexico and I can order as much booze i want, what drinks do you think i should try? Anything i should not try? Any imput is welcome. :rockin: Cant wait. my plans are to see the country in the daylight and party in the dark.

Fwiw, be really careful at night in Mexico. In many areas, they'll kill you for the shirt on your back. I remember walking the streets of a very poor area of Mexico once in the dark, bad bad idea. Thankfully nothing happened, but me and another guy were trying to find his bag that was taken in a smash and grab out of the truck window. What was really nice was getting his ID to come back...woohoo. Thankfully it all worked out ok in the end.

Drink some Pulque. I hear it has the consistency of snot. :D

Yooper Brewmistress said:
I highly recommend michelada. It's a chili/lime mixture, and they pour the beer into that. You have your choice between corona or negra with it. I like it with darker beer, so never had it with a corona beer. It has a salted rim- and in Oaxaca, there are ground up worms mixed in with the salt. The same salt mixture is used with mezcal, too.

Kind of like a spicy bloody mary, but not really. Very good, though!

Lorena
Great call on the micheladas. I love micheladas in Mexico....they seem to vary widely by region. In Oaxaca I've had them with the rim coated with a mixture of salt & chile powder...nice. The "mixer" seems to range from lime juice, lime juice plus jugo de magi (kind of like Worscteshire sp??), to clamato (better than it sounds). They're usually filled to the rim with ice, too, though not always. You can get them with any beer you want depending on what the bar has...I actually prefer lighter beers (Sol, Pacifico) for mine, but the darker beers work well, also.

I would go for some nice tequilas and skip mezcal (in reality, tequila is a type of mezcal, but all mezcals are not tequilas). Sangrita makes a nice chaser if you want one, but only a nice sangrita, not some crap from a can.

Other than that, you're left with beer and wine. There are certainly some nice lagers in Mexico that aren't really exported, and wines from Baja are making some impact internationally, but nothing like the more famous regions.

If you're just looking to party, I'd just hammer whatever the special at the club is that night with the knowledge that it's most likely made with some rotgut tequila or rum.

I'm partial to Nogales. It's beautiful this time of year:

Mexican%20border.JPG

JK makinitgood - having fun at your expense!

Ya,ya, Porta vallarta is were i am going, And i am staying at a all inclusive, free drinks and meals... Rdwi, Lets just say i look 18, I hope

makingitgood said:
Ya,ya, Porta vallarta is were i am going, And i am staying at a all inclusive, free drinks and meals... Rdwi, Lets just say i look 18, I hope

You will get carded as soon as you (your family) checks in and you will get a drinking bracelet if you are over 18....sorry buddy...just spend a week at one of those resorts this summer...better luck next time, I'd suggest virgin daquiris and pina coladas;)

You could also try slipping the bartenders a few singles....might help.

I aint gotta worry,(the travil agency phoned the place) as long as iv got a gardian above 18 iam good, they told me not to get introuble or watch the tv after 8:00pm, lol Ps (going with family)

Back