Rig advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It dosent look very strong..how many gallons are you going to brew and that lower burner is kind of strange looking.

Pat

If you put some work into it welding a couple trusses the long way as well across the ends you could make it work for your brewing rig. The wheels I would look into if they are up to the added weight your adding to it also.
That's what I would do without building a frame to hold up school busses with a ton a money in the frame alone. JMO"s no flame wars please.
For this $200 investment out of I bet is already only 18 or 20 gauge material that money can buy a lot of 1 1/4" light gauge square tube and weld up a stand to your dimensions and brewing use, you would be far more better off
going this way depending if you have a welder and cutting equipment to start with or have friends that will help you. What are friends for? Best of luck.

thanks guys.

I'm going to stick with plan A and have a stand built.

That's what I would do without building a frame to hold up school busses with a ton a money in the frame alone. JMO"s no flame wars please.

I'll F'n kill you for saying that! Hehe...

That seems like a good idea. Weld some supports and repaint with some hi-temp.

I'll F'n kill you for saying that! Hehe...

That seems like a good idea. Weld some supports and repaint with some hi-temp.

Tommy, your stand is no way near the 2" by 1/4" wall box stainless stands i've seen on the forum. Those must be rated for 80,000 lbs fully loaded 18 wheelers.

I bet rarjr would be better off making a scratch built stand with the proper materials to begin with and the dimensions of the stand to fit his needs.
I would go with locking casters on one end with fixed on the other instead of "wheelbarreling" it around. Speaking from a person with a bad back here, make life easy, build it right and once.

Tommy, your stand is no way near the 2" by 1/4" wall box stainless stands i've seen on the forum. Those must be rated for 80,000 lbs fully loaded 18 wheelers.

I bet rarjr would be better off making a scratch built stand with the proper materials to begin with and the dimensions of the stand to fit his needs.
I would go with locking casters on one end with fixed on the other instead of "wheelbarreling" it around. Speaking from a person with a bad back here, make life easy, build it right and once.

Lol...

Rarjr - If you lived near Cleveland I could of hooked you up with materials. I sell steel tubing.

run far far far away from the king kooker! ...i had ordered the triple burner from cabelas for 199 shipped...this thing was crap, quality, fit and finish was just horrible. i sent it back the next day...buyer beware

i then smartened up and contacted a local welder, i asked about building a stand out of 1.5"x1.5"@.083 steel tube, his quote was $220

then i bought the steel 4-12 footers 1.5x1.5 for $59 and had a friend weld em up. 5'x18"x18" with supports and burner cross-members...

IF YOUR GOING TO BUILD ONE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME...

haha - go beemer go - and yes 3x9 I Beam is needed for 10 gallon boils.... :)

When I first moved in my 1929 house with a 10' wide garage I wanted to plywood ther rafters, add lighting abd more plugs. Plus a steel beam across a 10' span to pull motors and tranny's out as a unit, talking 8-950 pounds maximum.
They came back with a 8" wide "I" beam as the minimum and a new foundation to carry the load of the rafters covered with plywood for sleeping bags, tents, coolers just bulky items. It was considered a 2nd story hence the foundation replacement. I nixed the whole idea with the city. Used two 6' steel pipes for the verticals with a 6" "I" beam. In the center with my Yale electric hoist I lifted 3,430 pounds of lead and the beam just slightly flexed.
Plenty strong for the 1,000 pound Yale Hoist I have used for 18 years.
They over engineered the garage with trusses that had to be certified and all that B/S. What ever happened to common sense, appears to not be so common any more. Or shall I say overkill on some projects unless the materials are free.

My thinking for the price of a square tube stainless stand a stand could be made out of 4130 aircraft tubing that would be cheaper, lighter and plenty strong then have it powder coated. This with no worries about high temp paints as i'm all electric heating only.
Nuff of this, said my opinions.

Back