yeast slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
so i have me 9 yeast slants, with yeast growing on them. the yeast has turned into a whitish film. so now do i put them in the freezer, or the fridge?

Don't know anything about slants yet...but nice beer fridge - retro. Picturing the Tap coming out.:rockin:

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Seems like you could keep them in something, though. Like an insulated lunch bag or something?

that might work. thanks for the idea fellow okie.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Seems like you could keep them in something, though. Like an insulated lunch bag or something?

That won't achieve much. The temperature inside the bag will stabilise at the same as outside. Insulation doesn't generate heat, it simply reduces the rate of transfer.

Your slants will be fine at anything above freezing. The cold of the fridge reduces the activity of the yeast cells and causes them to go dormant.

so 34 degrees is a good temperature then? it would almost be like cryogenically freezing the yeast. :)

Back