What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked at Starr Hill for about 7 months. The Lucy is a summer ale brewed with lime and coriander. its syrupy and tastes and feels like cough syrup. One day I saw the brewers adding the lime and coriander extract and it was a thick, goopy, bright orange syrup that I could smell from the other side of the brewer. Can't imagine that beer ever being a refreshing summer ale. If anything it made me really thirsty for water.

Agreed on the Lucy. I can't stand it. That said, I have a soft spot for Starr Hill. They were one of my first go-to craft breweries eight and a half years ago when I was 21. I spent a fair amount of time at their music hall when it was still open.

Brulosopher said:
Seriously though, the absolute worst craft beer I've had, at least in recent memory, was a "Rye Cream Ale" from a small brewpub in Visalia, Brewbaker's. I swear they served me a glass full of loogies; so bad, I asked them to take it back.

Hahaha. I heard about that batch. My wife and I went in and saw rye cream ale and it intrigued me. When it came I was impressed by the color, but it reminded me of a bland blonde. Without saying anything I had my wife try it. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "It tastes like a cheap blonde". I didn't really get loogies, though more just bland and hazy. So I went to my go to there, a Red Eye and fish-n-chips.

The absolute worst I've had was an Amber by Wolf or Red Wolf or something like that. It had such horrible reviews on untappd that I think they actually pulled it off. I can't find it in my history or anything. It tasted like someone poured fruit juice into underhopped half fermented wort. It took 6 months for the six pack to leave my fridge. The last two, thank God, succumb to my faulty thermostat and freezing.

Long Trail - Triple Bag

It was a cross between gasoline and rubbing alcohol.
I would not drink it if it was free and the only beer available.

I dont think you had the same SNPA as other people, it doesnt taste like that at all

it sure as heck does.... I've tried it several times, and every time I tell myself I will like it. every time I am wrong. I don't get it, I love pale ales, I love cascade hops. SNPA is a pale ale, it has cascade hops. But it tastes absolutely horrible. no malt flavor at all, and the best description of the taste is lemon pledge with stomach acid.

I can't believe so much hate for Harpoon. I've loved everything I've had of theirs. And Liennie's Summer Shandy i awesome. yeah, it tastes like kool aid. but damn its good to drink when its hot out...

The only beer from SN I've genuinely enjoyed was the Narwhal. The others are mediocre at best. They can't make an IPA to save their souls. I feel like they abuse Munich malt.

Edit: Actually Torpedo was pretty good on tap, but bottled it is not worth buying. But that's it!

I have to admit I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen this one mentioned. Anything and everything from Highland Brewing in Asheville, NC. I've never had anything good from them. There is a special place in the hate center of my brain for their Kashmir IPA. I don't know where they get off calling that beer an IPA. I've had it in the bottle and out of a tap. No hop character at all, barely any bitterness. Just terrible.

you must have gotten a bad serving of it... that stuff is a great English IPA. The rest of thier beers are excellent as well. One of my favorite breweries. seems weird one person's thoughts on a beer is so far apart from another person's.

Disclaimer. "I love dogfish head beer"! I gotta say though. Raison D'etra is not a good beer. Just taste funky to me. To much fruit bull**** in it. I bought it because I love the saying.

Favorite style is a nut brown ale btw.

Dustinj said:
Disclaimer. "I love dogfish head beer"! I gotta say though. Raison D'etra is not a good beer. Just taste funky to me. To much fruit bull**** in it. I bought it because I love the saying.

Midas Touch reminded of Camo

O'fallon ,mo brewing 5 day IPA . Taste way to much light too many IPA s blended together .

image-4272412815.jpg

I'm in Middletown, NJ and they have it at the Wholefoods by be I haven't tried it yet though.

(Rogue vodoo bacon maple)

as if the pink and brown packaging wasn't enough, it actually sounds disgusting. and according to many accounts, it might be.

"A beer so obnoxious, you just have to try it yourself so you can tell the world how much you didn't like it!" -- I like it (the idea, the beer remains a mystery I don't care to investigate.)

I have to agree with the Rouge Voodoo Bacon Maple. I was able to finish the bottle. But just barely.

Others that I can't stand are Pyramids Apricot Ale and there was a christmas beer about 10 years ago that i just could not drink. Got it. "Pete's Wicked Winter Brew." Or something like that. The last 5 bottles in the 6-pack sat in my fridge for over a year before I managed to get rid of it.

I'm not sure if this is the worst craft brew I've ever had, but definitely the one that missed expectations the most: Stone 16th Anniversary. It's just disgusting.

I know people wet their pants over new glarus fruit beers. I've had both raspberry tart and wisconsin red and found them cloyingly sweet. Was glad I had them at a beer fest and did not pay for them.

Herky21 said:
I love Midas Touch. Brewing a clone soon.

I know quite a few people like it. It just wasn't for me. There are definitely far worse beers though.

CGVT said:
Is Leinenkugal considered craft?

I pretty much don't care for anything they make, but that nasty-assed Fruity Pebbles tasting Sunset Wheat is the worst beer in the history of beer.

I love fruity pebbles but that sunset wheat is revolting!!!

Dankenstein IIPA - Pearl Street Brewery

Don't know if it was a bad bottle or what- just tasted nasty licorice, could only have a few baby sips before stopping (and I was excited because it is a bottle conditioned beer).

21st Amendment's "Hell or High Watermelon" wheat. I can't even start to describe it.

I have to agree with the Rouge Voodoo Bacon Maple. I was able to finish the bottle. But just barely.

Others that I can't stand are Pyramids Apricot Ale and there was a christmas beer about 10 years ago that i just could not drink. Got it. "Pete's Wicked Winter Brew." Or something like that. The last 5 bottles in the 6-pack sat in my fridge for over a year before I managed to get rid of it.

I really enjoyed the Voodoo Bacon Maple myself. It started off way too sweet for my tastes but the smoke flavor really saved it for me.

Pyramid's Apricot Ale on the other hand is absolutely terrible. Easily one of the worst beers I've had.

Totally agree. I bought some last week as I have never had it before. I still have a 4 pack left and I do not see a time I will drink it unless I run out of beer.

That and delerium nocturnum. Not a fan. It tastes like a cider to me.

I'd have to add Pliny to the list. Both Elder and Younger. Not because they're bad beers. They're really really good beers. But I still think they're overrated/overhyped.

Hell, if mythical ambrosia existed, conferring ageless immortality on its drinker - it would still have less hype than these beers.

I'd have to add Pliny to the list. Both Elder and Younger. Not because they're bad beers. They're really really good beers. But I still think they're overrated/overhyped.

Hell, if mythical ambrosia existed, conferring ageless immortality on its drinker - it would still have less hype than these beers.

I've had neither Pliny the elder or younger, but I've heard so much about how great they are (especially the elder) that I understand your issue.

Ima say Thomas Hooker Watermelon, its like drinking a jolly rancher, and in a bad way.

Any mythical ambrosia beers are Flanders reds anyway.

It is funny to see this many Sam Adams beers on here. I always liked the company idea and their message etc. but darned if I ever liked ANY of their beers.

I am with you 100%. Their success is exactly that of BMC -- great marketing. I don't even know why I like them. None of their beers are Great. A few are pretty good, most 'meh' and the rest are like fermented diapers.

I really really want to like Sam Adams. But I just haven't found a that I'd buy again. I can't honestly think of any repeat purchase of any Sam Adams product I've ever made.

Fat Tire Ale. Tastes like a wet sock to me.

Fat Tire, 1554 Enlightened Ale, and Belgo IPA are among the worst. Belgo is among the worst commercial beers I've had. Well, 1554 sucks pretty hard too.

If we're talking worst of anything, Old Milwaukees Best Ice. We called it "Beast Ice" in college. It was like getting spit on, kicked in the nuts, and robbed. Every sip. And if it got any warmer than 35F, it was like getting robbed, kicked in the nuts, and spit on by 5 people.

I am with you 100%. Their success is exactly that of BMC -- great marketing. I don't even know why I like them. None of their beers are Great. A few are pretty good, most 'meh' and the rest are like fermented diapers.

I really really want to like Sam Adams. But I just haven't found a that I'd buy again. I can't honestly think of any repeat purchase of any Sam Adams product I've ever made.

If you don't like Noble Pils you don't like pilsener.

If you don't like Noble Pils you don't like pilsener.

Ha as I was reading through this I was thinking exactly the same thing, Noble Pils has got to be the best thing coming out of their Pennsylvania brewery; I mean Boston.... no I mean Pennsylvania.;)

I was not impressed with Wachusett Brewery. I took a tour of their brewery several years ago and they provided samples. All their beers tasted exceedingly bitter and off somehow, almost like some sanitizer got into the bottles. I might have hit them on a bad day but I can't say that I'd be willing to plunk down cash to see if they got it right or not.

They havent gotten it right yet! every time I have their beer it tastes oxidized, I visit my family in Mass all the time and the local places have it on tap and for some reason theres always a fresh six pack in my parents fridge (my sisters Fiance drinks it I think) always the same wether on tap or in the bottle.

I tend to think that most SA bashing is done because it's trendy. Craft beer hipsterism.

By craft brew standards most of SA's offering fall somewhere between average and good. Their imperial pilsner and dopplebocks are particularly excellent. Their cream stout is probably the finest example of the style I've ever tasted. Even their Boston lager would be a fine session beer.

Yes, the taste reflects the price but I don't think there's anything wrong with producing a beer that doesn't cost $8+ for a bomber or $12+ for a six pack and still calling it craft.

Back