MO SMaSH IPA [English IPA]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1882-PC Thames Valley II
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Wonderful malt backbone (MO) with EKG flavor coming through and a nice dose of aroma.
14# Pale Malt (2 row) UK Bairds Maris Otter [96.6%]
8oz Crystal Maris Otter (55 SRM) [3.4%]
2.00oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20% AA] - Boil 20 minutes
1.50oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20% AA] - Boil 15 minutes
1.00oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20% AA] - Boil 10 minutes
1.00oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20% AA] - Boil 5 minutes
2.00oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20% AA] - Boil 1 minute

Add yeast nutrient and Irish Moss per your own parameters.

Mash with 1.288qt/# at 154F for 60 minutes. In my keggle mash tun, that comes out to using 22 quarts water for the mash.
Heat mash to 168-170, hold for 5-15 minutes then sparge with 5.75 gallons at 168F.

Make starter per yeastcalc.com parameters for the OG.

Ferment cool, as close to 60F as you can get.

Fermentation was done in under a week. I had other things come up, delaying my kegging time. It was kept at 48-52F for the remaining time (after fermentation finished) in the basement where I live.

At 5.8% ABV, this should be a very easy drinking brew.

Oh yeah, already pulling pints. :rockin: There's enough hop flavor and aroma to keep any 'hop-head' happy. Low bitterness helps it go down real easy. I'll try to come up with more as I have a pint. Just getting my gear ready for tomorrow's brew-day.

Cool! I'm really getting into the idea of very simple beers as I learn to develop recipes. Starting with a SMaSH concept and maybe adding a small amount of crystal or roasted malt just seems like the way to go.

In something like this, yeast selection, and treatment, is even more important. There's not a lot for off flavors to hide behind, so if you mess up, it almost screams out to the world. Fortunately, it's easy to get it right, if you know what you're doing. :D

How many of these kind of brews have u done? Do u have a favorite combo of malt, hop, and yeast for a SMaSH?

I use either Wyeast 1335 or 1882-PC for mine. Typical base is Maris Otter for my SMaSH brews. I also like how it combines with EKG. I've been adding crystal maris otter to the brews, but I have one planned where I won't.

The East Kent Goldings are one of my favorite hops, but I haven't had the guts to use it all on its own in such a prominent way like you did in this SMaSH. I've been wanting to start doing some small-batch SMaSH brewing. Maybe I'll get started after Christmas.

BTW, this was my third SMaSH with MO and EKG... Planning to brew the next one after a couple of recipes between. So, probably in January. :D

Latest posts

Back