Hops and Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASublimeDay

Reaction score
Has anybody had an issue with this? Is the reaction exaggerated (sure death upon ingestion?)?

Has anybody's dogs shown an interest in their hops? I guess it isn't an issue if they don't even want to eat them, but I'm a bit worried.

Do the dog owner/growers out there do anything to block them off from the hops?

Thanks! :mug:

From what ive read hops are deadly to dogs. It affects there ability to thermoregulate and they start to over heat quickly leading to seizures and death. A lot of people say there dogs aren't interested in fresh hops but once your hops are soaked in wort they might be more interested in the sweet flavor.

...dogs aren't interested in fresh hops but once your hops are soaked in wort they might be more interested...

That's been my experience. My dog totally ignores them growing the backyard and doesn't give a rip about pellets/cones when brewing. It's only once they come out of the kettle and are covered in sweet wort that she notices. Those go straight to the (enclosed) composter.

From what ive read hops are deadly to dogs. It affects there ability to thermoregulate and they start to over heat quickly leading to seizures and death.

Please, not this again. Check with the National Poison Control Center before posting.

my dog has been attacking the bines of my saaz plant....I think more so because I was telling her not to do it.....I don't know if the leaves or the plant itself would harm it or if it is just the cones that are dangerous to dogs?

Please, not this again. Check with the National Poison Control Center before posting.

Seriously?

If you know something please educate, don't just put a good topic down because you know something the rest us on on this post don't?

Seriously?

If you know something please educate, don't just put a good topic down because you know something the rest us on on this post don't?

I believe the response was because this comes up 3-4 times each year. Not because of not wanting to educate.

From what I have read only the cones are toxic to dogs. I have posted in other threads like this that I have a daschund that will eat anything, choke cherries, grass, sticks, her own sh##, and she wont even look at my hops. She will not even touch the cones that fall while I am harvesting. I believe that like was posted earlier it is when the hops get used in wort that they really become dangerous, as now they have the sweet grain smell. Doubly dangerous if you are making treats from spent grains or giving grains to your dog, as they cannot tell the difference(not saying dont make the treats or share the spent grains only suggesting greater caution).

Again just my observation of my dog, and my beliefs.

My dog and the neighbors dog like pissing on my bines, but that's the only interest they've shown. I only harvest above the spray zone.

I believe the response was because this comes up 3-4 times each year. Not because of not wanting to educate.

From what I have read only the cones are toxic to dogs. I have posted in other threads like this that I have a daschund that will eat anything, choke cherries, grass, sticks, her own sh##, and she wont even look at my hops. She will not even touch the cones that fall while I am harvesting. I believe that like was posted earlier it is when the hops get used in wort that they really become dangerous, as now they have the sweet grain smell. Doubly dangerous if you are making treats from spent grains or giving grains to your dog, as they cannot tell the difference(not saying dont make the treats or share the spent grains only suggesting greater caution).

Again just my observation of my dog, and my beliefs.

What topic wouldn't come up over and over again on a forum? If he doesn't want to answer, than just ignore the thread and move on. No one wants to get on here and search years of posts to see if a question has already been asked before. Besides, the search function on here is useless.

If no question were ever repeated on this forum there would be about 2 posts a year. Part of the fun is interacting and sharing experiences.

What topic wouldn't come up over and over again on a forum? If he doesn't want to answer, than just ignore the thread and move on. No one wants to get on here and search years of posts to see if a question has already been asked before. Besides, the search function on here is useless.
the forum search function is very useful - you need to use the search box at the very top-right corner of each page, inside the beer mug. scroll all the way up. that search uses Google. don't use the "Search this thread" feature.

people are free to not search and ask the same question for the 101st time, but they shouldn't be surprised if they don't get many responses. personally, i'm much less likely to answer an oft-repeated question.

the forum search function is very useful - you need to use the search box at the very top-right corner of each page, inside the beer mug. scroll all the way up. that search uses Google. don't use the "Search this thread" feature.

people are free to not search and ask the same question for the 101st time, but they shouldn't be surprised if they don't get many responses. personally, i'm much less likely to answer an oft-repeated question.

Absolutely 100% this.

I posted this very thread last year. I was very happy that some people posted their experiences.

This is a thread where the poster is worried about a member of his family being adversely affected by something that is a "hobby". I think it shows thoughtfulness rather than letting the chips fall where they may without caring.

And personally, I think it beats all the "I haven't read a book or a single post, and I attempted to brew an Imperial black Belgian IPA using bread yeast, corn flakes and skittles. Is my beer ruined?"

My six year old dog, Brenna, died yesterday after ingesting a small amount of dry hops. We had no idea hops were deadly. It raises the dogs internal temperature and shuts down their organs. We are heartbroken. I wish the hops packaging would warn new home brewers of the danger.

Man, so sorry to hear that. That's terrible. Were the hops covered in wort or otherwise more tempting than usual?

Back