Adding walnuts to a oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my limited experience with nuts, they tend to get bitter when wet. You probably won't get any nice toasted walnut flavors, but will get bitter/gross flavors.

You'd probably be better off going with something like this:
http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/extracts/extrwal.html

That wasn't my experience from adding toasted walnuts to the mash of a brown ale. However, they did add enough oil to kill both the krausen and any any head retention. They also gave an oily/slick mouthfeel.

I'm definetly going to use nuts sometime in the future and have researched how to toast them and put in paper bags to absorb as much oil as possible. Just wondering what people thought of walnuts added to an oatmeal stout opposed to another type of stout or porter?

yo! howd that beer go down? my friends and i are looking to also add walnuts or walnut extract to a chocolate stout recipe.

- did you end up using whole nuts?
- did you add the walnuts to the mash or to the secondary fermention?
- did the oil content affect your fermentation process or did the baking/paper bag help remove that variable?
- how did it taste?

Back