Good Extract Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JedSmithBrewery

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I hope to do my first beer as soon as my primary clears up. I really want to do an Irish Stout because I love Guinness but would rather stay all extract if possible because this is my first beer.

I see that a lot of the recipes call for oats and other grains that need mashing, is it possible to have a good stout recipe with just specialty grains and extract?

Also, I would like to keep the extract to un-hopped pale malt extract because that gives me the most control and because it is what my LHBS has in stock primarily. Thanks guys and I look foreword to your replies.

I see that a lot of the recipes call for oats and other grains that need mashing, is it possible to have a good stout recipe with just specialty grains and extract?

Sure, you can. But if you can steep grains, you can do a partial mash. Trust me, it's not that much harder. All you have to do that you don't do now is measure your water better and watch your temperature closer. That's all that's different. Go for it! :mug:

My brewers best irish stout has specialty, LME, and DME. I will be brewing it as soon as the robust porter I brewed tonight gets out of the primary in a couple of weeks.

Ok, all this talk about partial mash brewing is making me want to try it, I just don't want to get ahead of myself. Soon I know I'll be at home depot getting the parts to build a mash tun but I might get a talking to for that :D

I need to bite the bullet and get that 7.5 gallon brewpot but how many pots do I need in total to do a partial mash? I know I need one to mash and one to sparge but can I use the one that I mashed in to boil as well?

And can someone who has done an Irish Stout please help me with the extract / partial mash recipe with only pale DME as extract.

Thanks guys and PS. my bathroom smells like apples from Brandon O's graff:mug:

Sure, you can. But if you can steep grains, you can do a partial mash. Trust me, it's not that much harder. All you have to do that you don't do now is measure your water better and watch your temperature closer. That's all that's different. Go for it! :mug:

I totally agree. I did a PM with Ed's Pale ale and it is WAY better then extract. If you have to stay to extract then your stout will be okay. But if you can do a PM you will enjoy it much better....check out deathbrewers PM tutorial.

CHeers!

All you need to do partial mash is another pot to mash in, a pan to heat water in and a kitchen strainer. I just used our pasta pot to mash in and a regular saucepan to heat sparge water in.

Heat your mash water in the pasta pot while you warm your oven up to it's lowest temp. When your water is at the right temp, throw in your grains and stir them up well. Check the temp and adjust with a little hot or cold water if you need, then pop it in the oven and turn the oven off. The residual heat will keep your mash pot warm longer than sitting on the stove.

Give the mash a stir about halfway through and run the oven for a minute or so if it needs to warm back up.

after about 45 minutes, heat up some sparge water in the sauce pan. At 60 minutes, pull out the pasta mash pot and dump it through the strainer into your brew kettle. Dump the grains back in the pasta pot and pour on the sparge water. Give it a little stir and pour that back into the brew kettle through the strainer again. Do it a third time if you want to double-sparge.

That's it! Easy as pie! I did it that way all the time before I broke down and got a beverage cooler to use as my partial-mash tun. It works great as long as you don't go overboard on grains. When I started going over 3 or 4 lbs it got to be too much to handle with a pasta pot.

I think DeathBrewer's method can handle larger amounts of grain if you need, but with a cooler it's SUPER easy. (nod to the Gnome) :D

Hey Guys, I hope to do my first beer as soon as my primary clears up. I really want to do an Irish Stout because I love Guinness but would rather stay all extract if possible because this is my first beer.

Also, I would like to keep the extract to un-hopped pale malt extract because that gives me the most control and because it is what my LHBS has in stock primarily. Thanks guys and I look foreword to your replies.
Here's a great recipe :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/

Back