No sediment in bottle until opened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siinizter

Reaction score
Hello

I recently joined this site and I have a weird question, I just finished my first batch of beer and everything went perfectly. I was a little worried when I bottled my beer that I put too much water with the priming sugar and it would not carbonate. I let it sit for about 9 days and popped my first beer and to my surprise it was carbonated almost perfectly. When i opened it I was worried because there was abosolutely no sediment in the bottle at all. Then when i opened it there was a ton of sediment in the bottom of the bottle that seemingly came out of no where. At first I thought maybe i just didnt see the sediment in the unopened bottle so i opened another and again with no sediment then the same thing tons at the bottom of the bottle after being opened. So i guess my question is, is this normal and has anyone ever experienced it before? Also does it really matter that i put too much water in the priming sugar before bottling? Any insight on this would be great and thank you!

Welcome to HBT!

Its normal to have sediment settle to the bottom of bottles so, depending on what kind of beer you made, you should be conscious of it (i.e., wheat beer, mix that sediment up and pour!)

Hey thank you for the welome! I look forward to being a part of this site for a long time to come!

And I was expecting the sediment in the bottle that is not the issue Everywhere I have read has said that unless you force carb you will always have sediment which I have 0 problems with.

What I was wondering is if it is normal to have no visible sediment inside the bottle when it is closed, then when opened bam! there is a bunch of sediment in the bottle... It just struck me as kind of odd that there was none before the bottle was opened. Thanks!

So one thing that might be happening is the apparent amount of sediment increases when you open because sediment provides a nucleation site for CO2 coming out of solution. So its possible that that kind of fluffs your sediment a bit.

But there is no mechanism that I know that would cause sediment to come out of solution at the time when the bottle is opened. Not saying there isn't one, cuz almost anything is possible, but it would be a surprise to me. :D

Latest posts

Back