Aeration after pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotpants

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I accidentally aerated after pitching the yeast, not before. I'm assuming it doesn't make to much of a difference, but my question is why is it better to aerate before pitching the yeast? Does it harm the yeast or is it in order to have oxygen immediately available the moment the yeast are pitched?

Cheers

You just want to aerate before they start their exponential growth phase. No harm aerating with them in the wort as long as it's within the first few hours of pitching. Using a stirplate during the starter growth is essentially aerating with the yeast present so no harm, no foul.

You just want to aerate before they start their exponential growth phase. No harm aerating with them in the wort as long as it's within the first few hours of pitching. Using a stirplate during the starter growth is essentially aerating with the yeast present so no harm, no foul.

Awesome. Thanks

Yeah no biggie, I believe some dry yeast instructors actual say to sprinkle on top of the wort, let them rehydrate for a half hour then aerate.

in fact it is fine to aerate within a day after pitching, for very high grav beers it is even recommended to re aerate after about 12-24 hours. I do this for anything 1.10 or higher.

Done this before as well, might be a oops moment, but is perfectly fine. It's also quite normal for seriously heavy beers to re-aerate again after 12 hours of fermenting.

Back