Beersmith mashing calculation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
Does beersmith automatically calculate your mashing temp and time based on the recipe you input and the equipment setup you have made?

I just batch sparge and want to make sure beersmith is setup correctly so I can get the correct mash temp and time.

So if I batch sparge should I just use single infusion/full body/batch sparge as my profile or does it change from beer to beer?

So if I batch sparge should I just use single infusion/full body/batch sparge as my profile or does it change from beer to beer?

Yes, if that is what you do. The different profiles are for different mashes. I nearly always go with single/medium/no mash out. You can click on the mash description and enter your mash steps from your particular recipe. Usually the recipe will dictate the particular mash.

Ok...so what about the full body and medium choice...which would I want?

Ok...so what about the full body and medium choice...which would I want?

Full body or medium body?

Full body is a higher mash temp for a shorter time, mine is at 156 I believe.

Medium is a temp at 152 for an hour. I don't remember what the defaults were- I changed mine a bit when I tweaked my mashing.

Single/medium/no mash out is probably a good place to start for many beers.

Ok I will try that. Just wanted to know what the other selections would be used for and how it would affect the beer.

Kinda confusing on which choice to choose and I just wanted to make sure the mashing technique was the correct one.

They're all different mash procedures used for different styles. You can read the descriptions in the Notes section of each mash profile. Once you get going, you might want to try different processes. Starting out, it's best to keep it simple, like you are doing. It's really just several ways to skin the same cat. That is, extracting sugars from the grain. You'll be fine with the medium body/single infusion/no mashout. Good luck.

They're all different mash procedures used for different styles. You can read the descriptions in the Notes section of each mash profile. Once you get going, you might want to try different processes. Starting out, it's best to keep it simple, like you are doing. It's really just several ways to skin the same cat. That is, extracting sugars from the grain. You'll be fine with the medium body/single infusion/no mashout. Good luck.

Good to know. Thanks everyone. :mug:

Full body or medium body?

Full body is a higher mash temp for a shorter time, mine is at 156 I believe.

Medium is a temp at 152 for an hour. I don't remember what the defaults were- I changed mine a bit when I tweaked my mashing.

Single/medium/no mash out is probably a good place to start for many beers.

I was just reading this again and had a question.

Would some grains require a shorter mash time then others? Also would they require a different temp? Trying to figure out why certain beers would have certain mash temps/times.

I usually mash for an hour. I don't check for conversion or anything like that. I think an hour covers pretty much all the standard malts. I "think" that some like pilsener malt requires a different amount of time, and that 2-row can be done in 1/2 hour or may be 45 minutes. Not sure if resting for an hour affects the mash enough to worry about. I think it's maybe just wasting a little bit of time for no good reason. But I'd rather be sure than save a little time.

I usually just do a single infusion medium body no mash out and adjust my mash temp for the particular recipe I'm doing. After entering my grain temp and preheated cooler temp, I mash in at the specified temp and and nail temps every time with BS.

I usually mash for an hour. I don't check for conversion or anything like that. I think an hour covers pretty much all the standard malts. I "think" that some like pilsener malt requires a different amount of time, and that 2-row can be done in 1/2 hour or may be 45 minutes. Not sure if resting for an hour affects the mash enough to worry about. I think it's maybe just wasting a little bit of time for no good reason. But I'd rather be sure than save a little time.

See...that is what I am trying to figure out. If there is a specific time or temp that is needed on certain ingredients or recipes so you can convert all the sugars properly.

I usually just do a single infusion medium body no mash out and adjust my mash temp for the particular recipe I'm doing. After entering my grain temp and preheated cooler temp, I mash in at the specified temp and and nail temps every time with BS.

So how do you decide what the mash temp for the recipe is?

I do a single infusion with batch sparge.

Back