Greenhouse and hops growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choguy03

Reaction score
Well after throwing my parents their 25th wedding anniversary party I was finally able to meet up with my uncle. He has a very large greenhouse and I talked to him about growing hops not only for my use, but to sell as well. He has a website http://www.basementshaman.com/ and I told him that if we could grow successful plants there would be a possible profit in it. He also has some knowledge in hydroponic growing, so we may be exploring that avenue as well.

The one question I had, was is it possible to grow in a greenhouse. From what I have read, hops like to have moist ground and warm temps. What do you guys think?

First off, congrats to your parents! They made you the brewer you are today.

Second, a greenhouse.....not really sure if it's needed around here(the midwest). We have a decent growing season and getting 18-20 feet of growth in a greenhouse, and then controlling pests and harvesting would take some doing. I know you said large greenhouse, but I think it'd be better to just get them going outside. If you want to experiment, I'd go for it but not whole-hog. Next spring put a rhizome at one end of the greenhouse and see what happens. Whatever happens, make sure you report here!!

The other uncle has 22 acres in a place near by and he said he would give me an acre to grow. Do you have any experience with growing here in the midwest?

Have not grown on that scale, just one mature plant and three first years planted in April. I can tell you that they do well here in SW lower MI, and grow wild pretty much everywhere. You'll need to construct a trellis system consisting of large (20+) poles and cable with some twine or rope for the bines to climb. A search here or on the net will guide you. You won't get much of anything the first year, and may even be disappointed the second, but the third will knock your socks off. I think that if you have the ambition to construct the trellis over one acre, pest control, irrigation (they're thirsty), and harvest would be within one man's grasp. If you move beyond that you'll start needing help.

I think the greenhouse would be great for first year plants and producing rhizomes. You might think about producing super-rhizomes by growing them for a year. That would reduce the height requirements and give you a product that is relatively rare.

First time poster here.

I realize this is an old thread, but any news on greenhouse hops growing? It would be nice to take advantage of multiple growing seasons a year with greenhouse growing (for personal use and selling). I have just been looking at this as an opportunity lately. Especially in the context of a brewery. If they could produce a large amount of their hops independently-that could save a lot of money from resale and transportation costs.

If I follow what you are suggesting, I'm afraid that growing them in a greenhouse is not going to result in a year round harvest...at least not economically. The plant uses the dormancy (cold) period and the change in length of daylight to determine when to start burring. You would have to replicate that process.

Back