mash temp control setup for blichmann burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I've been trying to answer my own question on here for about 2 days now. I have a blichmann burner and i'd like to build a cheap mash temp controller for it. I keep seeing things like the brewtroller and stuff like that but is there a specific and inexpensive setup anyone can recommend for this type of burner? Can i keep it simple like rig up a pilot, solenoid, and johnson controller and voila!?

Have you looked through this thread? "Gas and Temperature control for dummies" by SawdustGuy. Simple but risky is a pilot and solenoid valve controlled by a cheap temperature controller, safer is a honeywell standing pilot furnace valve and pilot with 24V transformer and temperature controller. Maximum bling is electric ignition setup with dual solenoids or honeywell valve.

I hadn't seen that before. And thanks for the quick suggestions. I still might have some questions later though

now, several months later i need help figuring out the final pieces i need for the system. i have the honeywell solenoid valve witht he igniter, I've got the march pump and all the tubing. what's holding me up now is buying a pid and whether or not i need a solid state relay to power this since it's gas and not electric. i'm also unsure about what the best temp sensor is. I'm looking at a 1/2"npt thermowell that'll connect to a t on the output side of the mash. Please help

Back