Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newcastle, Avery White Rascal, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Victory Golden Monkey...

If these are the absolute WORST beers that have ever touched your palates, I'd LOVE to know what you guys typically drink. Basically what you are saying is that if someone hands you a Bud Ice and any one of those above, you'd pour them out and drink the Bud Ice.

Not the best? Sure. But absolute worst? Maybe your first beers were Westvleterens and you just never looked back.

This thread has become the "beers I don't like" list.

Btw, Westy 12 is the worst IPA evar, it's not even hoppy!

Duchess de Borgogne. The most expensive bottle of vinegar I have ever purchased.

That is definitely a style that you have to be prepared for. I personally like it.

So far as "worst commercial" I would just have to clump all malt liquor. There isn't much I haven't tried, but based on just taste and overall lack of appeal, it would be malt liquors.

SkylerChaBro said:
I acually like Hacker-Pschorr. It could have been poorly handled. I remember having a blue moon at my local pub and it was the most awkward tasting thing ever. Something had gone terrably wrong because I generally love blue moon.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the U.P. by the way. I love going up there.

Well, I may not have time give the the Hacker-Pschorr another try, but I'm going back to visit Marinette on Monday. I've really wanted to make it further north where there is a really beautiful state park.

When I turned 21 I was stationed in Ft Hood, Tx. The first beer I ever bought was a case of Lone Star. I know some folks swear by it, but after 1 beer I gave the rest of the case away...

I bought a 12 pack from World Market that had 4 varieties of beer from around the world supposedly. It was packaged in a cool box and the bottles weren't screw off caps - Looked interesting. They all tasted the same and were terrible! The guy at the cash register was either stupid or lying because he said he had them and they were great. Maybe they were at one time but those things were bad. I actually threw them out which I think was a first for me.

CO-Brewer said:
Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Chill and Bud Light Lime. It always amazes me how many people like bud light.

True... I'm not sure what I hate more, BMCs or EACs.

Homebrewtastic said:
+1 to that. A friend gave me a bottle of Magic Hat Howl. I really hated it. Then again I'm not much on schwarzbier.

The only decent Magic Hat brew I've had was their Vinyl Lager. But #9 is god awful. I can't believe it's popularity down here in Florida. it's on tap everywhere.

When I turned 21 I was stationed in Ft Hood, Tx. The first beer I ever bought was a case of Lone Star. I know some folks swear by it, but after 1 beer I gave the rest of the case away...

Yeah there in Austin this was the "cool" beer for a while. I don't get it.

sanibel14 said:
The only decent Magic Hat brew I've had was their Vinyl Lager. But #9 is god awful. I can't believe it's popularity down here in Florida. it's on tap everywhere.

I know wtf...I dont get it....

I think it's only a seasonal, but if you see "Roxy Rolles," give that a try. By far the best MH beer I've had. Kind of an Americanized ESB, or a hoppy red ale. Really nice hop character, not too over the top, and really well-balanced.

95% of Magic Hat beers are mediocre at best, but it's hard for me to say that even #9 is the *worst* commercial beer.

Fischer LaBelle (European Pale Lager).
Hands down the worst beer I have ever tasted.
Thankfully I haven't seen it in several years, so hopefully someone finally put it out of its misery.

I just bought a 6 pack of Fegley's Devious Imperial Pumpkin. I don't know what their tasters were thinking when they recommended selling it, but it's horrible. If they cut the spices back 95% it might be good. Had to dump it and give the rest to people as a joke!

[email protected]

HP2XIPA said:
I bought a 12 pack from World Market that had 4 varieties of beer from around the world supposedly. It was packaged in a cool box and the bottles weren't screw off caps - Looked interesting. They all tasted the same and were terrible! The guy at the cash register was either stupid or lying because he said he had them and they were great. Maybe they were at one time but those things were bad. I actually threw them out which I think was a first for me.

I can't stand it. Their cranberry "lambic" is also terrible. I bought one of their new rustic Saisons and found it awful. On beeradvocate, somebody called it a wonderful example of the style. I feel confident the author has never had a good saison!

[email protected]

...oops I meant to quote the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat post!

Worst commercial beer? Well, that must be Staropramen Dark.

I love regular Staro, and I love dark Czech lagers, but Staro Dark? I have absolutely no idea how they manage to make a beer this terrible. It tastes like a strong dark lager, watered down to the 4.4% of Staro. Or like they steeped milled rye in the cool wort, or something.

Samuel Adams Seasonal ...Noble Pils.

It was so nasty that my upstairs neighbor gave me the rest of her 6-pack (5).
I said to myself "self it can't be all THAT bad" so I had one and immediatley realized why she gave them away. I love hops and bitter beers. But this sheize tasted like soap. I dumped those abominations in the drain. It hurt deep down but it needed to be done.

My dad left some Landshark Lagers at my house a couple of weeks ago. I drank one the other day and reminded myself how awful they are.

For me it would have to be a recent bottle of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. Now I can still drink (and enjoy) Bud Light, Bud Light Lime, 4 Loko, Ciders, Malts, PBR, etc. You name it, I'll drink it and will not pour it out.

But this one literally made me gag at first. I did finish it, but it was tough. I've read reviews that it was too heavy on spices? I didn't taste any spice at all. It literally tasted like heavily soured, unflavored mashed potatoes. It had a stinging sourness paired with a horrible squash "flavor", and zero spices.

I would take a PBR over this any day of the week.

Blue moon i think it is garbage and it is a commercial beer it is now owned by Coors Brewing Company.

I like Blue Moon, I could think of much worse out there. Don't get me wrong, there are much better Wit beer options without a doubt but IMO it gets a bad wrap because it's owned by a commercial brewer and not it's flavor, because of this some offer no credit whatsoever even if it's actually decent. "Rise Against" opinions.. I often hear the same over Anheuser's Shock Top. Both of these beers have proven to be great stepping stones for commercial drinkers to cross into craft selection. The best man at my wedding recently crossed over to the dark side... Muh huh haaah. :fro:

Kind of interesting though how Blue Moon came to be, created and originally distributed solely at the Sandlot Brewery (obviously owned by Coors) at Coors Field and spread from there due to popularity. I love the idea of mini-breweries in ball parks, though if St. Louis had one I'm sure that would just give them a reason to jack the price from 8.50 a beer up to 14.00 a beer, shady bastards.

Please add Jsmith's Double Orange Bavarian to the worst beer list. It's obviously not commercial but woof. I'm holding out that time is going to heal the wounds but I may have nicked the jugular when I brewed this beer, survival chances are dropping... :cross:

I like Blue Moon, I could think of much worse out there. Don't get me wrong, there are much better Wit beer options without a doubt but IMO it gets a bad wrap because it's owned by a commercial brewer and not it's flavor, because of this some offer no credit whatsoever even if it's actually decent.
I gave it a shot knowing it was Coors. It was OK as long as it was very cold, but once it warmed up it took on a gruesome chemical flavor. Someone gave me a Blue Moon Grand Cru for Christmas last year-it was the same taste but more pronounced. I like Michelob Porter, obviously BMC, but it was good. Bud American Ale OTOH was truly awful from the first sip til the last.

This is a tough one, because I've had a ton of horrible beers over the years. For me any of the B/M/C beers are up there, but I will drink regular Coors if that's my only option. Moosehead, Heineken, and Pilsner Urquell are probably my top worst beers. That being said Magic Hat makes some of the worst beers I've had in a long time. I haven't been impressed by Flying Dog either. The three beers I've tried from them have been awful.

All that being said, there is one crappy beer that I will drink willingly in honor of an old friend from time to time, and that is regular Schlitz.

XtremeBrew said:
Moosehead, Heineken, and Pilsner Urquell are probably my top worst beers.

Doubt it, actually.

Those beers all have one thing in common: green bottles. Seems like you just hate skunk! Hardly a surprise :D

Pilsner Urquell is a whole different beer when it's not from a bottle, and it's quite nice and refreshing actually - maybe you should try it from the can sometime.

I've also had all three on tap. Don't like them. I'm not a huge Pilsner fan or Saaz hops fan. That's what really kills Urquell for me.

my favorite beers are hopped up IPAs or IIPAs, belgians, sours, etc., but i'm known to slam corona on vacation (really, is there anything better than a corona on vacation)??

that being said; worst beer = stella. i don't get it.

Back