well crap... started my yeast in a DME starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbeerboy

Reaction score
i will need to step it up before brew day, and i'll be chilling the final pitch and decanting the starter beer.... how much gluten do you think is going to be going into the final product?

I can't tell you the ppm, but if you're making this beer for someone who is on a strict gf diet, I would just use dry yeast.

No telling how much gluten is in there in DME, but it's quite possibly quite high. Save the yeast for your next non-gluten-free beer.

My LHBS owner claims he has people with Gluten allergies that can't even walk into his store cause of all the bulk grains. I don't know how true this is but if that is the case, you probably shouldn't risk it.

Picture it this way DC...a little vial of white labs yeast has essentially the same stuff you have in your starter, just a lot more concentrated.

Yours is (at least) 20x bigger and 1/10 as concentrated.

A 5gal beer should be around 400ppm gluten with a 1L starter based on white labs research.

i'm not sure if you're saying i'll be fine or if i'm going to constipate my friend and make him have migraines.

What are you asking?
Are you brewing a gluten free beer? Why would you make a yeast starter for a gluten free beer with anything that could contain gluten?
Thats like making a vegan soup and using Worcestershire Sauce.

Back