My first Stout and an AG question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlainsBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got finished putting my first Dry Stout extract kit into my fermenter... Boy that stuff is dark... I've been doing alot of amber and Belgian ales so I haven't had anything end up that dark yet...

While I was waiting for my boil to finish I was watching a series of AG brewing videos by a guy named Chris Knight, I think... pretty entertaining videos although I felt they were kind of quick... Just enough to wet my appetite for more information...

I guess my main question is, since I have enough gear for four simultaneous extract kits fermenting (ie. four fermenters, tons of bottles) including a 7 gallon brewing pot... What else do I need to switch to AG?

I didn't see any definitive, "Here is what you need to do AG, noob!" Any suggestions, or links to an appropriate thread?

Thanks, y'all...

Dave
Kansas

A mash tun is really all you need then. An extra pot to heat your sparge water is nice but isn't absolutely necessary. Most people use converted coolers with a manifold, steel braid, or false bottom, and a ball valve on the outside. I got my 10gal at Home Depot for under $40. I wouldn't get anything smaller. There are a number of threads with parts to convert a cooler. I think that's it really.

I started out too doing extracts, and was very pleased with the end product. I moved to partial grain, then onto all grain. If you're thinking of moving to all grain, then the sooner the better.

I moved outside with a Banjo burner and converted two sankie kegs for brewing. One thing that I realized was that while I was "upgrading" my system was always in a state of change. I never did two batches the same.

Now, my system is dialed in, my equipment is up to the task, and I'm getting into a rhythm on brew days that has resulted in less stress, more fun, and a better product.

So, build a large Mash Tun from a cooler, I use a 48 qt Igloo cooler with a 3/4" SS braided filter. Works for me.

Get a BIG brew pot, or convert a keg. Full boils is the way to go. Get a burner that can handle a keg and get at least 7.5 gallons up to a boil in a fairly short time.

It's a Hoot. Good Luck...

I have been looking at going to ag as well. Thanks for clearing some of the fog up for me as well.

Watch all the Chris Knight videos. I have followed his methods on AG and kegging and everything has turned out great.

Back