hopfen weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
Holy crap, what a great beer. I would love to try something like this. Any thoughts, a wiessbock hopped to low IPA levels (40 IBU) and finishing out at 8.2 ABV.
Again, holy crap.
-ander

I'd start with your favorite IPA recipe and in place of your Pale malt, instead use 40-50% wheat malt and the remainder pale malt . I'd keep any crystal malts in there. Use your favorite wheat beer yeast. Bingo, Hopfen Wiesse

Yup, the Brooklyn/Schneider version(s) is dry hopped with Palisades and Amarillo.

If you have an IPA recipe you really like, I think it would be fun to modify that. This would really drive home for you the flavors that wheat and the yeast bring to the party.

This beer is definitely a cool collaboration of two breweries I love. I like the Schneider-Brooklyn version better than the Brooklyn-Schneider. If I were trying to make something similar, I'd make some "Imperial Hefeweizen" with an OG around 1.080-85 and hop it like Pale Ale. Its not as bitter as an IPA, but the flavor and aroma additions are much higher than normal Hefeweizen. I'd probably do some decocting too for maltiness...

This beer is definitely a cool collaboration of two breweries I love. I like the Schneider-Brooklyn version better than the Brooklyn-Schneider. If I were trying to make something similar, I'd make some "Imperial Hefeweizen" with an OG around 1.080-85 and hop it like Pale Ale. Its not as bitter as an IPA, but the flavor and aroma additions are much higher than normal Hefeweizen. I'd probably do some decocting too for maltiness...

Whoa, I didn't know there were two renditions. I have only had the Brooklyn-Schneider.

Harpoon in Boston did something similar during the summer, and it tasted delicious in their taproom. It was a SMaSH IPA that they fermented with hefeweizen yeast, and I totally plan on brewing something similar (not SMaSH, though) next month. Totally calling it my X-Series.

Schneider yeast can be harvested from the bottle. It's unpasteurized and it's the same strain as they use for primary.

Schneider yeast can be harvested from the bottle. It's unpasteurized and it's the same strain as they use for primary.

I saw it sitting on the bottom of the bottles when I just bought my two...& I was wondering if it was salvagable or not and if so, how....but I couldn't figure out the terms to google it up...I would really be interested in knowing how to do this, if you would happen to know.

thanks,
Scott

Check out this article:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1661-yeast-culturing-from-bottles-techniques

Basically, you sanitize the bottle well, pour the beer off into a glass (being careful not to disturb the yeast) and add back about 50mL or so of wort to the bottle. Let this ferment out and pitch into 500mL, and continue stepping up until you have what you need. You need to be very careful with sanitation in the first (50mL) step because you're dealing with a very small amount of yeast and the bad stuff can get a foothold more easily.

Since Hefeweizens get their esters from a slight under pitch, word is that you can pitch the dregs of 6 bottles of Schneider Weisse directly (20L batch), without the need for a starter.

I don't like Weizen, so I can't speak from experience, but harvesting Schneider yeast is popular in German home brew forums.

Back