Brewday Dilemma! forgot to look into this before now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonwarstler

Reaction score
I've got a beer that's been in a primary for 7 days and fermentation is, for the most part, complete. But I like to leave my beers on the yeast cake for 2 weeks to allow the yeasties to clean up after they're done.

My dilemma: Im planning to brew today, but need that primary.

My plan was to siphon the beer in the primary over to an empty 5 gallon carboy, then with about a half gallon remaining above the yeast cake, swirl the remaining beer and yeast so it turns into a slurry then pour as much of that yeast into the carboy as I can.

My question to the experts.... is it even worth the contamination risk to let it sit on the yeast for another week? If its worth the risk and I do as planned, the yeast won't go into another feeding frenzy will they? My gravity is at 1.008 and that's my calculated target, just don't want to drop too much lower. Any other unforeseen reactions that may occur if I do this?

Any help is appreciated. I'm putting my brew day on hold until I can confidently make a decision. Thanks!

Is the concern here developing another krausen in the secondary? Or oxidizing your beer with the transfer? I would be more worried about the latter if youve already hit FG.

Personally, i would.just rack to secondary and leave it there for, say two weeks instead of one. There should still be enough yeast in suspension to finish cleaning up.

Again, i am a novice so if youre really.concerned maybe wait for another to chime in.

Just rack to the 5gal carboy. There'll be plenty of yeast in suspension to take care of things. Plenty of people secondary for clarifying all the time.

Do not swirl and dump yeast into the secondary. Heck, rack your new beer onto the yeast cake if the strain and style are compatible.

Thanks y'all. My main fear was another krausen forming, if I moved the yeast cake with it, since I'm moving it to a 5 gallon vessel. I used to secondary everything, so my transfer process isn't a big concern. I'll just leave the yeast cake out and leave the cleaning to the suspended yeasts. I believe I just over thought this one....much appreciated! Time to get the mash going

Go ahead and brew another batch! The carboy is fine for a secondary; no need to transfer the yeast cake, as that would defeat the purpose of the secondary anyway, which is really just to clarify. There are plenty of yeast still in suspension, and they will continue to clean up your beer for another week or so. They will drop out too and form a much thinner yeast layer at the bottom of the carboy.

Agree with above posts. Just rack it over to secondary and if you really want to be sure you have some yeast, right at the end stick the autosiphon tip into the yeast cake. You will draw up a spoonful and that will be more than enough with all that is still in suspension. I would not swirl and pour as you will oxidize your beer.

Back