milling grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
was online ordering an all grain hefewiezen. got to the order screen and it says do you want your grains milled??? i clicked yes and it charged me a dollar. Dont most places do this for free. this is the same place that double charged me. maybe time to buy a grain mill and bulk grains.

Think about it this way: the stores that don't charge for grain milling are making their other customers pay for it. Anything that costs time or resources is adding to the cost of anything you buy. If you're not happy with your current supplier, there are plenty of other great options. The internet does not lack really great HBS shops.

consider the cost of a mill... you will brew 150+ batches by paying the company to mill it for you... or you can buy a mill and DIY... seems reasonable to me. if you really dont like it there are a lot of places that you can look into.

In my experience it is normal to pay a little extra to have the grains milled.

Compare them to other stores. If they are still the cheapest, you have no complaint.

Buy a mill, it will pay for itself quickly, and grain can be stored for longer. If you plan on going all-grain and brewing a lot, buy a proper mill. If you are just steeping,or just partial mash, consider a Corona Mill; you can probably get one for about $30.

im doing all grain. I could save alot of money by buying grain in bulk. it seems like i always use pretty much the same grains. i will consider that. Everyone says to buy a barley mill.

Bump.

I got a corona mill around the time of my second batch. I love the flexibility I get from milling my own grain. Brew tomorrow, next week, whenever. You mill your grains and mash right in within a few minutes. You can't get much fresher than that.

Also, you can tweak your crush and get different levels of efficiency. If you rely on your lhbs to do it, you will be at their mercy as far as crush and efficiency go.

Back