Mulling spices in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
I just got done brewing NB's extract Winter Warmer. I want to add some holiday type of spice to the beer, so I was thinking of going with a 0.5 ounce pack of mulling spices. I have only seen them used in the end of the boil though, so I'm not sure if they will add much flavor when used in the secondary.

I'd hold off adding the spices until fermentation is complete, lest the scrubbing bubbles have their way with it. When you're about to bottle or keg, at that point I would draw off a cup or so of the brew, simmer the mulling spices in it for 15 minutes or so, then chill it and mix it back into the brew. That will extract a lot of the goodness...

Cheers!

I wouldnt use the prepackaged mulling spices at all - we tried it a couple months ago in a simple ale recipe. Smelled great in the boil, smelled great in secondary, turns out that the cinnamon overpowered everything else. Hoping some extended aging fixes it, but not holding out much hope.

I wouldnt use the prepackaged mulling spices at all - we tried it a couple months ago in a simple ale recipe. Smelled great in the boil, smelled great in secondary, turns out that the cinnamon overpowered everything else. Hoping some extended aging fixes it, but not holding out much hope.

Hmm. Maybe I will just make my own spice blend and steep it in some vodka, then make a couple of test glasses to figure out the ratio.

Back