reached FG but still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check it in a few days. If it's still the same, it can be either racked to secondary (if using) or bottled. I'd wait until 2-3 weeks have passed before bottling, though, to give the beer some time to clear before bottling.

Even if it's done, a little more time to let the yeast clean up is always a good thing. How long has it been in there?

its only been two weeks in the secondary but this batch is suffering from green brewers syndrome and was only in the primary 7 days. it is probably stunted.

exactly... stop messin with it until its ready. Let it sit 3 weeks in primary, then go straight to bottle/kegs. If you take the beer off the cake prematurely you risk stressing out the yeast and getting off flavors.

1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, stable sg for 3 days your ok to bottle if u want. The bubbles r probably just co2 coming out of solution.

I'm with strider. If this is your first batch you have been admirably patient. Even if there is a point more to go on the gravity, which I severely doubt with that reading you are getting, then it is time to bottle and begin the REALLY long wait while it conditions in the bottle.

There I find the minimal time is three weeks.

Maybe on future batches you might to ferment longer but . . .

this is my second batch and i have a third ready to brew. i am anxious to get it right this time and settle in for the wait. i think i need to get a better thermometer too.....one i can really trust. i guess i need two. one for the steeping temps on wort day and one for the primary to make sure i stay near 70 for several weeks.

An LCD thermometer works fine for the primary. Just stick it on the side of the bucket. You can get them anyplace you find your homebrew supplies.

i was thinking i needed to stick one in the beer to get the best reading ? no ?

Don't stick anything into the beer. Now that the yeast activity has subsided, it is high susceptible to infection. Use a liquid crystal thermometer on the outside or just lay a bulb type thermometer on the fermentor. I like to use an infrared thermometer because it works without contacting the beer. At three weeks, you are more than ready to bottle. The bubbles you see are probably from moving the fermentor around when you are putzing with it.

Tom

i really think it has to do with temp fluctuation in my house. i have not really even touched it in days. only to pull a sample for testing gravity and then i dont move the carboy just pull the airlock. i guess it cant hurt to wait a few more days and take one last reading. unless you guys think the off flavors from being off the original yeast cake are too high a risk to wait maybe i should just wait another week anyway ?

Back