Would ya look at that? Dark & Hoppy (Texas Brown)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
I enjoy this style...I'm into hoppy IPAs (who isn't?) and also like browns and porters...this style meets in the middle and satisfies me quite nicely :D

Anyway, what do you think about this recipe?

5.5 gal
OG 1.049
SRM 18
IBU 62
Eff 85%

Grain
5lb Pale Ale Malt (58%)
1lb Wheat Malt (12%)
2lb Munich Malt (23%)
10oz Chocolate Malt (7.2%)

Hops
1oz Galena 60min
.75 Cascade 30min
.75 Cascade 20min
.75 Cascade 5min
??? Cascade 0min
??? Cascade Dryhop

Yeast
Either S-04, WLP001, or WLP Irish Ale

What do you think about the recipe? How much for 0min and dryhop would you suggest? Lastly, which yeast would you pick?

As always.....thanks guys! :rockin:

Well with that many posts I would think you're in a better condition to tell us than us tell you. Anyway it looks good, maybe something in between the munich and chocolate malts in there as well?

I'm thinking caramel wheat instead of wheat malt?

I'd use the English ale yeast to bring out the malt since you have so much hops. I have a beer fermenting with S-04 right now and it smells so good I want to steal a sample. :D

- Eric

I'd nix the 30 minute addition, bump the boil additions and knockout to a full ounce, and dry hop with 2 ounces. It's not a bad idea to mix it up with another American hop, but that might be a matter of taste or availability. It's not like you'll make anything other than a really good beer with all that Cascades.

My first thought was that you have a lot of chocolate in there, but I then remembered that you are shooting between a brown and porter. Considering that, you look like you where you want to be. I like all that chocolate malt in there, anyhow.

I don't know about the wheat at all. It just does not seem to fit with with the rest of the recipe or your desire to get between a brown and a porter, as it works against a richer beer. You do what you like, though. :)

TL

So TexLaw, you're thinking a hop schedule like

1oz Galena 60min
1oz Cascade 20min
1oz Cascade 0min

Dryhop 2oz Cascade

Is that what you meant?

Eh, the wheat could be tossed.....I've got a sack of wheat malt so I find myself just throwing a pound into every recipe....my excuse is head retention ;)

Thanks for the help!

I'd call it a Texas Tan! :D I have a bag of Flaked Barley, so I toss in 1/2 pound of that in almost every brew too.

If you wanted it more along the line of a porter, a little bit of a medium crystal malt for a wee bit of sweetness might work. It should be nice and dry as-is, it looks pretty damn good.

I agree, too, that 30 minute additions are kinda pointless; not long enough to maximize bittering utilization, but too long for there to be much of any flavor component left. Kind of a waste, better off splitting that addition, a little more to 60 minutes and a little more to 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the hopping suggestions...I'll work on them later.

I've got maybe .5lb of C60 and I've got a lb of C90 but need .5 for the 999 comeing up.

I'll play with it later.

Thanks for the input! :D

Does anyone see anything wrong with the BU/GU ratio?

I think of Texas Browns as having a little bit higher OG. Don't they make everything bigger down there? ;) It should be fine, but my inclination, if I were brewing it, would be targetting maybe 1.055 - 1.060-ish or so (that's just my personal preference, though). If you want it on the drier side, keep the gravity where it is.

So TexLaw, you're thinking a hop schedule like

1oz Galena 60min
1oz Cascade 20min
1oz Cascade 0min

Dryhop 2oz Cascade

Is that what you meant?

Not quite. Keep the 5 minute addition, and make it an ounce. If you have to go out and find another ounce of American hops, go for it. There are plenty of yummy varieties out there. :)

And, the OG is fine, but you could go a little higher if you wanted. My favorite Texas Brown recipe clocked in around 1.056, but yours is fine.

TL

Gotcha :D

Luckily, I've got quite a bit of cascades.....I'm starting to think I need to use up some of my hops so I can load up again with the 08 harvest

Back