Wyeast German ale Slant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
I hope this is the right section to post this in.
I recently started making yeast slants to keep my favorite strains handy for brewing whenever. everything slant ive made so far has turned out well except for a few slants of Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast which have formed a red colored ring around the perimeter of the slant. normally I would toss it and start over but I know that this is a special strain of yeast and im wondering if anyone else has experience with this or similar yeast strains making red ring on a slant.
I can try to post a few pics if needed.

Sorry about the quality, my camera wasn't focusing very well today.

p1000067qr4.jpg

Should I just make a small starter and see what happens? If I do should I add bittering hops to make a small amount of beer for tasting, or is a normal starter enough to test for contamination?

I haven't plated that yeast strain before but you have me very curious. I will buy some yeast and brew with it next weekend and streak a plate and see what happens. In the meantime I bet you'll have determined what is going on if anything. Keep us posted and I'll do the same if I'm able to brew next week.
Jeffrey

ok, its an infection! one of them has a very obvious green mold growing on it now.

Back