boil kettle with side pick up tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
I have a keggle I will be using for my boil kettle and I installed a side pick up tube so I can whirlpool. So I measured how much water was beneath the tube and it was exactly 1.25 gallons. Is this normal? I have yet to use it in a brew day but in that1.25 gallons will there be much wort or just mostly tryb

I think you have the ball valve mounted far too high. Or the tube is not the right one for the job. Considering, the bottom cone retains about 3 quarts (in a 1/2 barrel keg/keggle) you're a good distance above that with your tube. Or, you didn't use any hose on the ball valve fitting to get the outlet lower than the inlet.

My ball valve it's as low as it would go. I am thinking of cutting the dip tube down so it goes lower. And it drained all the way down to the dip tube just not below it so I don't think it was because I didn't have a hose on the barb

ForumRunner_20121119_193909.jpg

ForumRunner_20121119_194002.jpg

The boil kettle is the left one. For the bottom picture it is sparge tank on top boil on left and mash tun on the right. I will post pictures of the dip tube tonight

How about an useful picture? You know of INSIDE the keggle in question... :eek: Need to see how the dip tube is positioned/set.

You know, like this...
new_keggle_dip_tube-54734.jpg

Sorry it took so long to post this picture but here is my side pick up. I think if I cut about an inch it will sit lower enough in the kettle to be much more efficient

ForumRunner_20121120_102102.jpg

I've found the angle tube (shown in my picture last night) works really well. If you don't have an easy way to cut the tube, you might want to either try it connecting from the other end (unless you used the stainless ferrules on it), or just get the other dip tube type.

Flipping the dip tube around is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that and I used the silicone ferrule so it might actually work. Update tonight if it does

It will probably pick up more in the center that way...

Personally, I'm making all my own dip tubes now. I've also started bending them for local homebrewers (as needed) when they get one just a little too short for their needs/setup. I made the one in the picture posted.

So I tried reversing it and it was way to close to the middle so Thursday I am going to cut it and put it back on the normal way that will at least get it down under a gallon left

Back