First AG Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger42

Reaction score
...is underway as we speak, I just read Palmer suggests adding the water to the grain bed and not vice versa, oops, I messed up and poured the grain into the 150* water in the tun. Is this going to ruin the batch? It's not too late to run out to the LHBS and pick up more grain.

For fly sparging, do you basically slowly add water while draining to capture the full amount of wort in the kettle?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Some add water to the grain, some add grain to the water. As long as you stir it well and have the proper temperature you are good to go. Fly sparging is a more advanced technique and you need to recirculate the wort. For the first few batches try batch sparging. First make good beer, then try the other ways to see if you can make it better.

Well got my fingers crossed and hoping this experiment comes out okay. I lautered the mash and then slowly pumped another two gallons of hot liquor on the grain bed at the same rate as I slowly drained the tun into the kettle. All in I collected about 6 gallons, was my technique way off?

Well got my fingers crossed and hoping this experiment comes out okay. I lautered the mash and then slowly pumped another two gallons of hot liquor on the grain bed at the same rate as I slowly drained the tun into the kettle. All in I collected about 6 gallons, was my technique way off?

Not as I understand it. I think you did just fine and I salute you. :mug:

Hit ~65% efficiency. Not entirely disappointed as it was my first time doing all grain as well as using a chugger (march) pump and tun. Can't wait for SWMBO gives me permission to try my next batch :)

I boiled a little longer to compensate for lost efficiency and hit my target OG spot on :) although my 5gallon batch is now 4.8 :(

Back