Dry aged beef steaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happylush

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience dry aging a side of ribeye? I have a true t23 refrigerator and I would love to do this but I really need to learn what I am doing. Any information would be great!

Thanks!

I have done a decent bit of reading about it but have never actually tried it. I would like to know how it turns out though.

I have worked at a butcher shop for years and we simply bring in a whole ribeye, generally 20 lbs or so and set it in the walk in. A lot of places will have special humidity settings such, but we find that this works just fine.

After about a week, the ends will begin to brown out and look very dehydrated...this is good. All you are really doing in dry aging is drawing out moisture and concentrating flavor. I have gone up to about 30 days and they were fabulous. Just invest in USDA Prime or Choice beef at the minimum. Since you are concentrating the flavors, you want them to be top notch to begin with.

Oh, and you have to trim the end cuts off, that first 1/4 inch or so is unusable.

That sounds excellent. I was wondering how to humidity control the refrigerator. Do I need to sanitize the entire refrigerator before trying this? Also, when I select my beef from the butcher, is there anything that I need to ask for as far as age or hanging time? I really appreciate your help!

Ideally you would control the humidity and keep it rather low, but if you are just doing it at home its not going to be that big of a problem. Make sure you get bone in ribeyes. You will have to cut cowboy cut steaks out of it, but that bone will really retain the shape and integrity of the meat.

You don't have to hang it. When you visit your butcher, get the paper that is wax on one side and face that side towards the meat. You can simply sit it on this. Beef is hearty and takes well to aging, infections are rare and you can just slice off any questionable spots.

great technical video ... looks like he’s using a dedicated refrigerator that does not get constantly opened here...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E97xZjDJ4lQ]Dry Aged Beef - Do It Yourself! - YouTube[/ame]

this one uses expensive drybags but the finished, dry-aged cut steaks at the end of this video are killin me - check these out ...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5bdtOOmsD0&feature=related]Dry Aging Steak with Drybag Steak - Results - YouTube[/ame]

quite a few other interesting videos ...
"dry aging" OR dryaging OR "aging steak" site:youtube.com - Google Search

I guess I didn't post that link. I sure am a lot of help. Jeez. Again, at the five minute mark.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfaeWEjGpM]Good Eats S5E4P1: Celebrity Roast - YouTube[/ame]

I got my 18 lb whole bone-in ribeye today from a local farm. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have any experience dry aging a side of ribeye? I have a true t23 refrigerator and I would love to do this but I really need to learn what I am doing. Any information would be great!

Thanks!

Know this is sort of an old post, but I'll resurect it...

When I want to dry age some beef, I'll get a nice 2-3 inch (or larger) cut of bone in rib roast...if it's a special occasion, I'll go for 4 or 5 bones...

I'll take it out of the packaging and either wrap it in cheese cloth or just cover it with paper towel and let it sit, suspended by skewers, in my fridge for about a week or so, longer depending on the weight of the cut.

I'll rotate it and if the cheese cloth gets all soaked, i'll change out the cheese cloth...again, I'll usually let it sit for a week or more.

Once I've decided it's time to grill that wonderful hunk o' meat, I'll trim the hardened bits off, throw some kosher salt on it, rub it, and let it come to room temp, then I'll slather it in Olive Oil...

If I decide to throw it on the grill, I'll run it up to the highest temp I can get and sear, then turn it down and let it set for a bit until the internal temps are right for medium rare, or if I'm not grilling, I'll sear all sides with a cast iron pan then put it in a 350-400 oven for about 8-10 mins a pound, checking the internal temp...

There are other methods, including herb rubs and all that...I've done that, and I love them too, but the pure taste of a nicely salted rib roast has no comparison.

I got my 18 lb whole bone-in ribeye today from a local farm. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Cover the facing ends of the rib with butcher paper. It will keep them from drying out. Also drape butcher paper over the whole rib. It is no-problem, it will still allow it to age-well but keep it from turning all nasty-dry and black.

You can also smear lacto on the outside of the meat and it will develop a nice white flor. The downside if you do this in a refridgerator is that your fridge will take up a certain lacto bacteria count that can be tough to get rid off.

Age it anywhere from 28F to 38F.

Back