Natural carb keg/movement questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
So I'm supplying 1 corny keg for something that everyone can drink, probably a pale ale or Irish red or something. My plan is to brew it this weekend, sit in the primary for 3 weeks, then since I'm short on time, naturally carbonate it via priming sugar in a keg, so it can carbonate and age for 3 more weeks, and the party is the week after.

My main question is, will I get adequate carbonation doing it this way? I know I still have to supply one of those mini co2 dispensor things, I'm just trying to avoid force carbonation for a couple of issues I've been having in the past.

Also I will throw it in the fridge for a week before the party, but have no interest in bringing my kegorator to the party, so I am either going to throw it in my cooler mash tun with ice, or my keggle so it looks like a full keg of beer. My question is, how long will it have to sit after I bring it to the party before I can dispense and not turn all of the BMC drinkers off with the yeast that was stirred up?

Thank you for your responses.

Overnight would be best but a few hours might work somewhat. I would transfer to another keg for transport if you have a spare.

Fill the keg with sanitizer, blow it out with co2 and use an out to out jumper to push the beer to the empty keg.

Be sure to pour off a couple pints first to be sure the beer is clear

I have done this before, and 6 weeks is plenty of time. 1 week primary, then check gravity, prime it with sugar, wait 2 weeks, cold crash, and transfer to a new keg for serving. That's 3-4 weeks max. Good luck.

I know its enough time, its more if a question of with the.priming sugar be adequate, how long I have to wait to dispense.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking if the carbonation with priming sugar will be enough for you to propel the beer through a draft system.

No.

You need either CO2 pressure to move the beer through the lines or a Sankey keg and a party air pump.

Carbonation does not propel the beer up the lines it just makes it taste right.

Back