Partial Mash + Late Extract Additions = NO MORE TWANG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Gentlemen and Ladies of HBT! I write to you today with great joy and abundant pleasure to report that my partial mash brew (5.25lb total grain bill), including a late malt extract addition (15 min left in boil) was bottled quite recently, and, upon performing a taste test, I was greeted by the absense of the TWANG that has pervaded my brews thus far. At each bottling the twang has been present, not today!

I've read of this twang, and abhorred it in the beers that I've brewed so far. It has indicated to me "Ahh yes. I made this. beers that are purchased don't taste like this." A sad reminder that I can't do it like the big boys. These days are over!

As I write this, I am drinking some of the last of my twangy beers, and look forward to the 3-4 week wait for this beer to be ready for consumption.

I bid you a fond farewell and happy brewing!

(yeah, I'm a dork, sue me)

In Palmer's book, his recipes usually have late extract but at knockout. Thoughts on this? BTW, I brewed two of his recipes using that technique and no problems.

I think the main concern with doing it at flame out is that you don't get ANY boil time on the extract. Not that it is likely to have any nasties carried along with it, if you get 10-15 minutes worth of boiling with it, then you're not rsiking anything.

paranode said:
Nice. I am going to do the PM and late extract on my next batch also.

Me too.

I wish I had done late extract additions on my last beers.

Rook,

What kind of beer was it?

I am hoping this method will eliminate my off flavors and let me achieve a lighter brew.

Also, did you use LME or DME?

I used LME, but I've pretty much switched almost completely to DME for my brews. I like that it has a lower liklihood of spoiling, and its not difficult to get the full quanitity into the wort, unlike LME.

I brewed a clone of Mac & Jack's African Amber, its a local beer (only available in restauarants, or by bringing a keg to the brewery, very tasty, and my best friend's favorite beer.) I have very high hopes for it, it tastes great right now, just needs to carbonate and settle a bit.

I am doing the fat tire clone from AHS next week. I want to do the mini mash and also do a full 5 gal. boil. So my question is should I do a 60 min boil adding the ingredients as normal and the the last 10-15 min add the LME? Also when you do a full 5 gal. boil how much of the hops should I cut back on? Thanks

liquid has already been boiled, no need to boil it again. It can be added at flame out. Dry needs a few minutes of boil, but only like 5 to 10. This BYO article is interesting about boiling extract.

http://***********/feature/634.html/

Enjoy...

Rook said:
I brewed a clone of Mac & Jack's African Amber, its a local beer (only available in restauarants, or by bringing a keg to the brewery, very tasty, and my best friend's favorite beer.)

That is a tasty brew--care to post your recipe?

ohiobrewtus, it shouldn't have any impact on the OG at all that I can think of.

and Cweston, yeah, I'll try to remember to post it tonight when I get home. Its out of the BYO magazine 150 clone brews.

Back