Keezer: Mount Love Controller in Collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
I am starting to plan my keezer build and was wondering how I would mount a love controller into the collar?
I've seen it done in some pictures, but can't find a good description of how to do it.
Mostly I'm concerned about condensation building up on the unit as part will be facing the cool interior of the freezer and the other will be facing the warm room.

I am building a new top for my keezer that includes the Love controller in the lid. I built an extra box on the inside and insulated it from the cold side. It's still in progree, am currently adding Bondo and smoothing out the joints and screws. Forgive me if the photo doesn't show up, I'm still working out posting pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25840136@N02/4283466770/

So basically you made a box out of wood (mdf?) and then just sprayed the foam around the box to insulate?

Nice build by the way. How are you planning on finishing off the box?

It's 1/4 inch MDF braced with 1x2s, and 2x4 bracing where the hinges will mount. I may start a new thread for it soon. It will be finished with gloss enamel to match the base, it's staying in the garage so I don't feel the need to go with wood finish.

Nice.
So you're not trying to hook the controller to replace the freezer thermostat? I've been trying to decide on that.
What exactly is the plastic duct material you are lining the lid with? Is that special tape made specifically for that material?
Are you going to line the freezer with that material or only where there is wood/foam?
How did you cut the hole for the controller? I was thinking maybe a router and a chisel may be the easiest/cleanest way to go.

Thanks for the help.

The silver stuff is ducting insulation, I'm adding it over the foam so I can clean it easily since these keezers can sometimes get a little funky. The orange tape is Kapton, I used it because it sticks really well and I had a spare roll lying around. I'm only adding this ducting on the foam area, not the rest of the keezer.

The easiest way to use these love controllers is to set your freezer to its coldest setting and not try to circumvent the freezers internal thermostat. The Love will turn the freezer on and off for you.

I made the cutout by marking the outline and drilling a lot of holes with a drill and the biggest bit I had. I then went back with a dremel and a sanding bit to make the edges smooth, and finally attacked the corners with a file to square them up. Took maybe 30 minutes total.

I put a Love controller into my keezer collar. Didn't bother to insulate it, but I did put it roughly inside one of those blue plastic electrical boxes, just to try to give it a little protection from splashes, things hitting it, etc. Here are some pics (sorry for the size and quality).

Condensation would only really be a problem if there was a lot of moisture too, which in my case there isn't. I've never seen a hint of water on the controller, inside or out.

Also, the mounting of this thing was probably the hardest part of my keezer project. I basically mitered out a VERY rough opening with my drill and a small saw, then used a dremmel to sand it down so that the controller would fit snug. It also came with a mounting bracket thing, which I also used to sort of plug up the hole where I dremmeled a little too much. This brings back memories of what a PITA that project was... Good luck!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/temperature-controller-wiring-help-129200/index2.html

How did you cut the hole for the controller? I was thinking maybe a router and a chisel may be the easiest/cleanest way to go.

Thanks for the help.

I cut the hole by making a template marked out the hole then using a 1/2 spade bit I drilled the four corners then used a skill saw to remove the plug.

kegerator41.jpg

The easiest way to use these love controllers is to set your freezer to its coldest setting and not try to circumvent the freezers internal thermostat. The Love will turn the freezer on and off for you.

This is exactly what I did too. I basically wired the controller into a heavy duty extension cord, then just plugged the cord into the wall and the freezer into the cord. That's the red/black thing coming out of the blue box in my pix.

I cut the hole by making a template marked out the hole then using a 1/2 spade bit I drilled the four corners then used a skill saw to remove the plug.

kegerator41.jpg

Nice build! Wish I had done mine with as wide of a collar as you have there... I'm a fraction of an inch too short to fit a fourth keg on the freezer compressor hump (I still do so, it's just a little too tight for the lid to close all the way, so I have to press it down with something heavy)...

Its a 5 cf and I can get 4 kegs in her. I used 1x8 so its actually 7.5 inches and the two kegs on the hump have plenty of room for the posts and hoses. I have 3 taps set up now 4th to come later. I was playing with the idea of using aluminum diamond plate on it but I just need to see how the basement remodel goes . Right now it biker bar Harley themed so that would fit but SWMBO wants to go with brick walls and the old English pub style.And she is paying for the remod so I have to roll with the flow.

Back