Slight off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I made my first AG a little over three weeks ago, a simco smash. I just kegged it from primary and it has a slight catty flavor. I haven't dry hopped and don't plan to for about two months. I want it to be ready for a party May 30th and at 9.13% ABV it can use some time to age. I was wondering if the catty flavor (I have read possibly created by the simco) would diminish over time.

Here is the recipe I used, but I missed my mash temp by a couple degrees:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: IPA Smash
Brewer: Andrew
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.078 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 19.2 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.75 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

I was at my lhbs the other day getting ingreds for an IPA, and they didn't have the hops it requested, they suggested simcoe. One person there laughed though and said something like "unless you're Jim, he thinks simcoe tastes like cat piss" (jim is made up don't recall the name ) :) I don't think it smells or tastes that way, but it could be a personal thing. I'm not sure if it will mellow or not, but I like it. That's just my 2cents from my recent simcoe brew.

Edit: I don't like cat piss, I like the flavor of simcoe

The simco cattiness will mellow with time. Just about every well hopped beer does.

I have some SN Bigfoot Barleywines that tasted like you are chewing on a mouthfull of cascades on the first year. The 2007 is now pretty mellow. The '06 and '05 are great now.

You have 3 months to wait. I think you should be ok.

Is this beer hot tasting in alcohol? The OG is high (1.078) so I bet that will mellow too.

Let it sit fer a bit. :mug:

I was at my lhbs the other day getting ingreds for an IPA, and they didn't have the hops it requested, they suggested simcoe. One person there laughed though and said something like "unless you're Jim, he thinks simcoe tastes like cat piss" (jim is made up don't recall the name ) :) I don't think it smells or tastes that way, but it could be a personal thing. I'm not sure if it will mellow or not, but I like it. That's just my 2cents from my recent simcoe brew.

Edit: I don't like cat piss, I like the flavor of simcoe

I love simco, it is one of my favorite hops, but this is the first time I have ever had a beer that was only simco. Before this I have never noticed a catty flavor.

The simco cattiness will mellow with time. Just about every well hopped beer does.

I have some SN Bigfoot Barleywines that tasted like you are chewing on a mouthfull of cascades on the first year. The 2007 is now pretty mellow. The '06 and '05 are great now.

You have 3 months to wait. I think you should be ok.

Is this beer hot tasting in alcohol? The OG is high (1.078) so I bet that will mellow too.

Let it sit fer a bit. :mug:

Good to hear. I will dry hop a couple weeks before consumption and carb at the same time. My notes say OG was 1.083 and FG 1.013, but it doesn't taste too hot from what I remember, I just had a sip I siphoned off while the keg was filling.

As far as a mouthful of cascades, that sounds great. Maybe that's why I like 09 so much :).

I hear the simcoe - cat pee thing a lot, but I've never really noticed it. Time won't hurt! As others have said time mellows all hop harshness.

Back