Another "Rack to Secondary?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
This time I have quite a different situation. I used WLP004 with a 1000 mL 1.040 O.G. starter which I gave two days to multiply. I brewed and pitched yeast last wednesday afternoon (4/12). Here are the bpm readings from my log (all at 70*F):

Day 1 - 64 bpm
Day 2 - 16 bpm
Day 3 - 2 bpm
Day 4 up til today - 1 bubble MAYBE every 5 or 10 mins.

I am bottling my brew that is in the secondary tonight and I wanted to know if this is a stuck fermentation or if it just had a lightning fermentation and is ready to be racked to secondary (I'd rather do both the bottling and the racking tonight). I havent taken a gravity reading, which I will do tonight to make sure, but just wanted to know if fermentation could have completed basically in the 3 days I had airlock activity. Thanks guys.

Joe

RiversC174 said:
I....wanted to know if fermentation could have completed basically in the 3 days I had airlock activity.
sure.

rack it tonight if that's what's convenient for you. take a gravity reading if you're into that and have a taste.
:mug:

Take a gravity reading, and if you're close to your target FG, then rack it over to secondary. You used a good sized starter and let it go for two days, so you probably had a whole lot of hungry yeast when you pitched, so 3-4 days in primary sounds about right. Sounds like you've got an active, healthy brew :rockin:

I have had 30 gallons finish in 2 days so it does happen but you need to take a gravity reading and stop counting bubbles...:drunk:

Depending on the beer you may not need secondary. I skip it on most of my lower gravity beers because I have found it not necessary.

Back