Hop Rhizomes: Pre-order FHB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
We have 14 varieties of rhizomes ready for pre-order. The will be delivered in late March/early April.

Starting at $3.79:

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Fuggle
Golding
Hallertau
Nugget
Willemette
Galena
Glacier
Sterling
Magnum
Tettnang

Cheers,
John

Ordered 5 different rhizomes. Hallertau, cascade, centennial, golding, and willamette. can't wait to get these effers and plant them.

Let's give this a shot. New house...Check. Big back yard...Check. Ideal environment for growing hops in the back yard...no friggin clue!

Looks like I've got some reading to do regarding hop gardens!

You at about the same latitude as we are, I think you would be fine. We have hop farms further north of us that thrive. I had 24' bines last year (lotsa hops!).

From my supplier:

Hi John,

We are very particular when it comes to shipping quality rhizomes, in fact most of the top suppliers online are using our cuttings. We always stand behind the product and if you ever receive anything that doesn't look right (pencil thin, dried out, no healthy buds etc.) definitely let us know and we will take care of it. However, we do a lot of sorting of the rhizomes at the farm to ensure high / consistent quality, so this isn't really an issue.

I saw many people (online) say that rhizomes couldn't be shipped to Hawaii - so I called the HI State Dept of Ag. They said as long as the package is marked "May be opened for agricultural inspection" that they can be shipped.

Now...the part about me living at 21 degrees longitude might not help me out, but i'm willing to try!

Well they grow them in Texas, so you may have a shot. The humidity may lead to increased issues with mold, but don't quote me on that. If you look at the rhizomes on out site there is recommendation on what type of weather to grow them in.

Cheers,

John

How should they be handled when received? Im moving accross the country (from CO to NC in June) and I'll have a backyard then so I can finally plant some rizomes. If I get them in April, can they be stored in the fridge/cooler until I can plant them in June/July? Or should I just wait until next year? Thanks

I'd put them in a pot, take the pot when you move. You could probably cut them back before you moved, I've found hops to be pretty hardy once they start growing.

I'm pretty new to this, and don't know which hops are good substitutes for each other. If you were to pick five that would cover a nice range of styles and uses, where would you start?

I'm pretty new to this, and don't know which hops are good substitutes for each other. If you were to pick five that would cover a nice range of styles and uses, where would you start?

The homegrown hops will have a varying AA and you will not know until you use them how bitter they are. (Kinda like how one year you can have huge sweet strawberries and the next they are smaller and not as sweet.) You can have your hops tested but it is expensive to have done.

IMO you want to use almost all homegrown hops for flavor and aroma. That being said:

Willamette
Fuggles
Centennial
Cascade
Hallertau
Tettnang

are solid choices with the Glacier and Sterling as a close 2nd depending on what you brew, where you live and IMO. Please note this does not discredit the other varieties. They are just not my favorites or better for bittering. FWIW I do know someone that is decent at brewing up a small test batch with homegrown hops for bittering and IMO gets pretty close on IBUs but that may still be luck...time will tell.

If I had to choose just 1 I would go with Centennial but that is me and I love Centennial IPAs. ;)

I believe the average harvest off a mature plant is about 1lbs of cones. The 1st year plants will probably NOT produce that much if any at all.

If you are mobile or may be, then check out "Earthtainers" in the Google machine.

These plants/vines can grow upwards of 20' FYI

IMO you want to use almost all homegrown hops for flavor and aroma. That being said:

Willamette
Fuggles
Centennial
Cascade
Hallertau
Tettnang

These are all very solid choices you could brew a wide range of beers with just these hops. You could even sub out one of the German varieties for another American varieties to have a little more diversity when brewing American style beers. If you keep the Hallertau you could use those to bitter some Belgian beers that are generally yeast forward beers (ie: Wit, Dubble, Triples, etc) along with German style beers.

Steelers77 said:
I'd put them in a pot, take the pot when you move. You could probably cut them back before you moved, I've found hops to be pretty hardy once they start growing.

Would they be fine over the course of a 3 day drive? Thanks!

9 centennial and 1 cascade! :rockin:

Seems odd? Well, I have 2 cascade plants now that need to be transplanted because they hate where they are. If I have to dig those up I may as well plant some more and just do this right. I also have 2 Nugget and 2 Northern Brewer that will be going on 3 years in 2012.

I have a new spot picked out where they will get lots of sun, great water and soil nutrients.

I can see a wet hopped cascade/centennial harvest ale in my future, thanks to FHBS! :mug:

When you are propagating a new plant from a rhizomes they need to put energy into developing their root structure. First year yield is never that high. If you want hops this summer/ fall you may want to buy a crown.

I got mine on Saturday! They look to be as good as any rhizome as I have ever seen. The cascade was nice and fat and the centennial are all fatter than a pencil.

Now I need to head off to the Home Depot and get some parts for building my hop trellis/garden.

Thanks!

rAhTM.jpg

Got mine last night. Pretty excellent shipping considering they left on Sat. The bag each rhizome came in was slightly misted so as to keep it moist without overdoing it.

That Hallertau and Cascade are big, healthy, and beyond expectation. The Willamette is about what I expected size wise and had some buds starting on it. The Tettnanger is a bit scrawny, but it did have some buds to it, so I'm hoping all will be well with that guy.

I'll update with pics later on in the year, but I just wanted to show what I ended up with and to say I'd order rhizomes with Farmhouse again.

I am pleased to report I have growth! (Not that I had doubts but confirmation is always nice.) Almost all of the hops are 1-2 inches past the mound and I have hope that the rest will be along shortly.

I am sorry I forgot my camera when I went down to the farm. I will post up a few pics on the next trip!

Thanks for the hops!

I am pleased to report I have growth! (Not that I had doubts but confirmation is always nice.) Almost all of the hops are 1-2 inches past the mound and I have hope that the rest will be along shortly.

I am sorry I forgot my camera when I went down to the farm. I will post up a few pics on the next trip!

Thanks for the hops!

That's it? 3 of 4 of mine have several bines at least 24" long at this point. The 4th (the Hallertau above) seems to be a dud. Not a single sprout. Weird since it looked like the biggest and healthiest of the bunch.

seems i lost this year rhizome time :-/

hope buy from you next year
cheers:tank:

We have 14 varieties of rhizomes ready for pre-order. The will be delivered in late March/early April.

Starting at $3.79:

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Fuggle
Golding
Hallertau
Nugget
Willemette
Galena
Glacier
Sterling
Magnum
Tettnang

Cheers,
John

wow great collection of rhizomes you got too bad bunch of variety i like to try is sold out :( like
CENTENNIAL, Willamette, Columbus.

is there any chance some left in back yard or something :eek:
i rly like to get those :D

Back