Beer "OLD" after one week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Horlacher

Reaction score
Ok, So I just bottled an extract Sierra Pale Ale clone about 10 days ago. On day 3 i drank a couple...sure the carbonation wasnt perfect but it tasted pretty good. I just opened another after 10 days in the bottle and it has that same metallic, bitter-overboard taste! What can make the beer taste worse in 7 days while sitting in my cool garage? Wouldn't extract twang always be present? WTF gives?:confused:

Hopefully it is the aluminum pot I use or the extract kits I got...going all-grain as soon as my SS 10-gal pot gets here.

I have beers that I brewed months ago and they did the same thing...they do not get any better with age. And the only beer you get around here is Pils or Hefe...hate Pils and sick and tired of Hefe...

That beer will be great in time - give it two more weeks and they try it. I'll bet you that it is on track by then.

I usually free-lance my recipes - you might consider that approach as well. Brewing clones is in my opinion always a route to frustration. If your clone seems to be better tasting than the original, you wonder if you really hit the mark (why should my clone be better than that professional brew), and if it falls short, then obviously you made a mistake somewhere.

If you experiment with recipes you can make the one you like best, and mix up variations of it as you see fit.

Another possibility, the priming sugar had not fermented completely & made it a little sweeter. That can hide some of the bitterness. Day 10, the sugar was gone and the beer wasn't conditioned.

I made an extract SNPA clone a few months ago. The ones I drank that were 6-8 weeks in the bottle tasted the best. The ones I drank 3-4 weeks in the bottle were ok but I was a bit disappointed. Unfortunately, the thing you gotta do is wait. I wish I hadn't have broke into my batch as early as I did.

I've struggled with an off flavor that has been present in every single beer I've brewed to date- a flavor I can only describe as having a slight "maple" hint to it. My beers have all been brewed with liquid malt extract and somebody on here suggested I try brewing with dry malt extract. Yesterday, I brewed an Irish ale, using DME. I'm hoping that flavor will not be present in that beer. I am seriously considering going all-grain in the hopes that I can avoid this flavor. I'll keep you posted on the results.

I switched to mostly DME after my first few brews and I'm not experiencing any twang or consistant flavors from style to style. In fact, a few homebrewers that samples an Alpha King clone that I made had a hard time believing it was an extract brew. You might also want to start doing late Extract additions to your brews if you aren't already. It definitely improved my beers.

Junebug said:
I've struggled with an off flavor that has been present in every single beer I've brewed to date- a flavor I can only describe as having a slight "maple" hint to it. My beers have all been brewed with liquid malt extract and somebody on here suggested I try brewing with dry malt extract. Yesterday, I brewed an Irish ale, using DME. I'm hoping that flavor will not be present in that beer. I am seriously considering going all-grain in the hopes that I can avoid this flavor. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Ditch the LME. I've had the maple syrup flavor (best way to describe the "twang", btw) in more than a couple beers. Once I switched to DME = no more twang.

I'm curious as to what LME's you guys are using.

I get mine (bulk) from my LHBS and I have yet to have any off flavors. Infact, my friend that does AG brewing seems to think that my beers come out just fine. The only thing that seems "off" is the color seems a little darker than normal.

Back